Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per the title, I found some surface rust under the battery area which also reached the passenger side transmission mount. So I want to clean up that area and repaint it for protection. Then I have to remove that trans mount and replace it for this purpose (I already bought the new one). So where to put the jack under the trans for support, I attached two pictures.
1. please let me know which point would be better? Position A or Position B?
2. and Is this big bolt mark as "???" a transmission fluid drain plug?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
You don't have to put a jack under it. I took mine out and put back in with no jack. The 3 other mounts and the axles will support it enough that it will not move, unless your other mounts are bad. If you want to put a jack under it then anywhere is fine just lift jack enough to touch it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't have to put a jack under it. I took mine out and put back in with no jack. The 3 other mounts and the axles will support it enough that it will not move, unless your other mounts are bad. If you want to put a jack under it then anywhere is fine just lift jack enough to touch it.
Thanks, I just afraid there is some tension then I can not take the center bolt out, let's see

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it does have some tension on it then putting a jack anywhere will be fine. It will not take much force at all to lift the tension off. I would put it closest to passenger side as possible for more leverage.

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,122 Posts
If/When needed, I usually just support the midcase and use a jacking pad (or wood if unavailable)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Why not put a jack under it? It’s just proper and safe….PLUS depending on how long you have the trans mount off, the bolt holes might not line back up…personal experience lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why not put a jack under it? It’s just proper and safe….PLUS depending on how long you have the trans mount off, the bolt holes might not line back up…personal experience lol
Very much appreciate your reply, sure, I put a jack under it, but I did not jack it very hard, only touched the surface of transmission for security. I will let it off the mount for a week, should I jack it firmer/harder because it will be off mount that a long time (7 days)?
Also when you said " bolt holes might not line back up", you mean the bolt at the center of the trans mount right?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Very much appreciate your reply, sure, I put a jack under it, but I did not jack it very hard, only touched the surface of transmission for security. I will let it off the mount for a week, should I jack it firmer/harder because it will be off mount that a long time (7 days)?
Also when you said " bolt holes might not line back up", you mean the bolt at the center of the trans mount right?
It should be fine if you lay a jack under it don’t go too hard. I had it off for two weeks and the engine sagged…I had to jack it up and also put a scissor jack horizontally to push the engine towards the driver side to line the holes up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It should be fine if you lay a jack under it don’t go too hard. I had it off for two weeks and the engine sagged…I had to jack it up and also put a scissor jack horizontally to push the engine towards the driver side to line the holes up.
Just curious where you put the scissor jack, I might be falling into the same bucket...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just curious where you put the scissor jack, I might be falling into the same bucket...
I put the scissor jack on the frame of the car(the one the top of the struts mount to) and the thermostat housing with a block of wood between the jack and the housing to keep the housing from cracking. Also I recently pulled the engine out and saw I need a new engine mount that might’ve been causing the sagging…

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put the scissor jack on the frame of the car(the one the top of the struts mount to) and the thermostat housing with a block of wood between the jack and the housing to keep the housing from cracking. Also I recently pulled the engine out and saw I need a new engine mount that might’ve been causing the sagging…
Thanks for reminding me that, I just jacked the tans a little more firm right after I saw your first reply, hope it be ok...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just used the scissor jack when installing, not to retain it, personally. That’s a lot of weight to hold constantly
at the beginning, I just touch the position A area in my pic, I put a piece of wood in between, it really just a touch, I still can use my hand to move that piece of wood a little. Then I saw your reply, I jack it a little firm, now the wood can not move, but just a little firm to prevent it sagging too much. I have to keep mount out till Friday, I got quite a bite of rust caused by the battery leaking over the years ( this is a one owner car, I am the second one, the original owner too old to take care of, he just let this car site in the garage for a long time...he don't even know the battery is leaking...) .

So how do you feel? will this a little firm support under the trans will damage the trans somehow? (5 days)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts