Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wasted 20 minutes on the search feature, and I found no answers. Can someone tell me what the different wires on the factory stereo do?

I need to know:

+(constant)
+switched
-(ground)
illumination

front L +/-
front R +/-
rear L +/-
rear R +/-

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Harness schmarness... electrical tape and a pair of wire cutters is all I need. :D

I figure If I save $15 on a harness, I'll be $15 closer to a set of speakers. Regardless of how small the amount, money is money.

If I want to put the stock deck back in, I'll wire it up by hand by matching colors of wires.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
red is constant
yellow is acc
black is neg
blue is remote
orange is illum

I'm not sure about the speakers but I think there is a standard color for the wires(like purple with blue strip = front left pos). I could be wrong though.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to know what the factory wires are. There are no red, orange, or yellow wires on the factory wires.

I know what the wires on my aftermarket stereo are.

Thanks for the info, though.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
From memory. The factory wiring for power is:

The large blue one is switched 12V.
The constant is red with staggered silver.
The illumination is green with white marks.
Ground to the body

With that info, get a test light just to be certain, ok?

Ignore this response:

red is constant
yellow is acc
black is neg
blue is remote
orange is illum

I have no idea what this guy is talking about.

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Drew, I bought the harness, and have the package still. I will get you the info later on today when I get home.

It has all the original color schemes on it.

If that's not good enough, I can take a pic of my harness, connected to the factory wires, in a couple of days.

Elton

·
Currently Boost-less
480 Posts
See if this helps.

Good luck :cool:

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeremy---Could you please post it? I have MSNTV and the link won't open. Thanks.

Wes---Thanks. That has all the speaker wire info, but I still need to know what the rest of the wires are.

Elton---If no one beats you to it, please post the info. Thanks.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
I'll try to copy it but the file has color coded text also... hopefully the formatting will work:

Also I forgot... this is for an RT/Turbo 91-93, I do not know if the colors match other models.

Memory : RED / BLK
Ignition Pwr : BLU
Ground : ------
Illumination : GRN / WHT
Dimmer : -------
Power Ant. : WHT / BLK
RF(+) : WHT / RED
RF(-) : BLK / RED
LF(+) : WHT / BLU
LF(-) : BLK / BLU
RR(+) : YEL / RED
RR(-) : GRY/ RED
LR(+) : YEL / BLU
LR(-) : GRY / BLU

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeremy---that's exactly what I needed! Thanks!

I only have one wire that doesn't match... black w/ yellow stripe. I don't guess I need it anyways, because I have power, switched power, and illumination.

I don't have a power antenna, so maybe it has something to do with that.

Thanks again.

·
The gloves are now off
1,508 Posts
Cut the red!!!
NO cut the yellow, it always the yellow!!!
What if you're wrong?
CUT IT!!!
*snip* silence.... aaaaaaahhhhhhhh,
Which one did you cut?? The blue one!!! :)

Drew turn the car on, lick your fingers and go to work. :D (that technique can work for so many things) Don't mind me.:p

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jason---Do you like your Infinity stuff?

I've never used anything but Kicker and Lanzar, but I'm putting a system in the Stealth and I'm considering a single nfinity Perfect 10" or 12" sub with 300 watts RMS to it with a USAcoustics 2100 amp bridged mono.

Crutchfield also has Kicker XPL subs on sale, but I've never heard them. I wonder which is better... Perfect or XPL?!?

We want a lot of sound from a single small sub, and the Perfect has a higher SPL(94-96db for 10"/12" versus 88.5 for the XPL), so that may be our best bet.

We're probably gonna dump the 6x9's and just have 6.5's in the doors and tweets in the dash(maybe infinity components... then maybe a set of 4's to bump up the midrange.

I'll probably wire the tweets and 6.5's up to a 2x80W USX2180 amp and use a passive crossover to split the power between them. If I add on 4's, I'll power them off the head unit(40w).

When can I hear your system? You should come over here on of these weekends and we'll go out to dinner.

·
The gloves are now off
1,508 Posts
The difference between a 95 and 88.5 slp is huge!! I dont even have the perfects, I have the DVC kappas (they came out just before the perfects) If your only gunna go w/ one sub that only needs small box and dont want to get raped the perfect would be great, JL's are still the best imo. I dont think JLW6's are too expensive anymore. My 2 12s are DVC so i have them bridged to 2ohms. :) I am very happy with the subs. I also have the the kappa 3 ways in the doors, Im not to sure on those, I have 80watts rms going to them but they dont seem loud enough. I think you would be much better off going w/ components in the doors or going with something like pioneer which have a higher slp and are also pretty inexpensive. My 6*9s in the rear over power my by doors, I can still make your ears bleed if I turn up that certain frequency on the EQ. :) Also an EQ will make all the difference in the world!

Ive just been so busy with school and work. :( Ive have a lot of long ass tests coming up. But I will be out of school from Dec. 18-Jan 18. :) We will have to get together, if not before then.

·
Registered
99 Posts
DREW----

I can't wait for you to get the stereo finished! I had to guess what time it was today when I was on my way to school. It sucked! And I was going crazy without music!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. You should try this on me...
turn the car on, lick your fingers and go to work
I'll pretend I'm the car!!

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
DAMPKITTY said:
DREW----

I can't wait for you to get the stereo finished! I had to guess what time it was today when I was on my way to school. It sucked! And I was going crazy without music!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. You should try this on me...

I'll pretend I'm the car!!
HOLY yikes!

Damn Drew. you're one lucky sunnavabitch! :p

Lemme know if you still want any wire codes cleared up, when I get home from work around 5, I can look for the diagram.

Elton

·
1,280 Posts
As far as I can tell the manuals show the Black/Yellow going to the rheostat (dimmer).

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone. I got the CD player wired up tonight. I just spliced into the factory harness by hand. It sounds great. It's a Blaupunkt Alaska. We're gonna get a Blau 5-disc in-dash changer to go underneath it.

Shovel---I think I'll go with a Perfect. I like Kicker, but you can't argue with the numbers. We'll probably get a single 12" in a ported 1.75 cu/ft box with 300W (rated at 350W RMS). I want a small box, but there's no way I'm using a 1.0 cu/ft sealed box and losing all that boom! I'll just add some handles to the box so we can take it out easily.

The 10" and 12" have the same powr rating, and the 10 would use a smaller box, but the 12" is 96db spl, versus 94db for the 10".

Make sure you let me know when you'll be in town.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts