Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still trying to find the source of my misfiring, I decided to gap my plugs smaller. As I began taking things apart to do so, I discovered the source of my problems: the gasket of my Y pipe was ripped and had been shoved into the Y pipe opening. There's no seal at the throttle body!

First I tried to go to DN Performance's website. Not working.

Then I tried Dynamic Racing - they sell GT Pro's Y pipe but its $350! Not woth that much - I'll wait for Don's site to come back.

Note that I refuse to use MVP. Besides, they don't have one in stock and would just order it from a vendor anyway.

Anybody else sell a Y pipe for a reasonable cost?
I want to order one w/ overnight shipping so I can be back to 100% power. I cut up the remaing part of the gasket and rigged it for now.

·
Ex-Owner
1,284 Posts
yeah mine does the same thing. i had to do the tennis ball mod just to keep the damn thing from popping off! im getting this one in about a week. http://www.3sxperformance.com/intake.asp it's only 183$! woohoo!

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
Can't you guys just use a 3-4" piece of 2.75" ID silicone rubber hose and 2 hose clamps to secure the stock Y-pipe (like us guys with aftermarket pipes do)? Or is the stock plastic Y-pipe too soft for that?

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the stocker will just bend. It's actually scored in a few spots around the opening so it will flex and fit over the throttle body opening easier.

Others have said a temp fix is to clamp it without any gasket. Mine is rigged well enough to stay till I can get a good Y pipe. It's still leaking some but the power is much better than before.

·
The gloves are now off
1,508 Posts
I have a question about the Y-pipe. I noticed the other day when I was working under the hood (yeah i do that sometimes :)) that I get some air seeping out of the ypipe, not by the throttle body but on the other end. Is that normal?? I know idealy it shouldnt do that but is it possible to make it air tight? I made the claps as tight as possible.:confused: Does that hurt performance?

·
Registered
461 Posts
sounds like your IC hoses or y-pipe is leaking.
Vacuum leak is no good. Put some water with soap to see where the leak is coming from.
i hope this help
Thanks

·
The gloves are now off
1,508 Posts
I will do that, but how will I fix it when i find it? I cant tighten the clamps anymore. :( I know it coming from where the ypipe meets the IC hoses, nothing is cracked or anything. Its very little, and it doesnt really get anyworse when I rev the engine. Could it really be making a difference?

·
Registered
137 Posts
"Can't you guys just use a 3-4" piece of 2.75" ID silicone rubber hose and 2 hose clamps to secure the stock Y-pipe (like us guys with aftermarket pipes do)? Or is the stock plastic Y-pipe too soft for that?"

I don't think that it's too soft. Don't clamp in the middle where the two pipes meet, but rather on each end of the sillicone hose.

Works fine with me! (14psi)

Mike

:D

S

·
0 Posts
Hey, I HIGHLY recommend getting Don's polished y-pipe for only $184!! It's really nice!! Half the price of GT-Pro's. Definitely get it. Looks and works great. Trust me, that baby will NOT blow off. Plus it looks really sweet. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts