Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday on my way into work at 5:55am I got pulled over by a local cop. I thought he got me speeding 63 in a 55, but he said that he got me for passing in a no passing zone which occured about two miles back. I told him that I started to pass the guy in a passing zone, but part way through the pass it turned into a no passing zone. I ened up getting a warning ticket. He made sure to keep me ther a half an hour just sitting because I told him I was running late for work. He told me he would keep an eye out for me, and that if I did anything slightly illegal that he would have me. I guess he could have really been a jerk and ticketed me for my limo tint. But my real question here is this. Did I do anything wrong? I didin't think that I did. I think that it was a judgement call, and he was a half mile behind me so I think I judged it better than him. He told me that if I was part way through the pass and it changed to a no passing zone that I should have braked down and gotten back behind the car.
Sorry this is so long guys, but did I do anything wrong. I'll have to thank him and his buddies that stopped by at 5:55 in the morning for puposely making me a half hour late for work.
Player--'92 3000GT SL (Firestorm Red w/limo tint and my new "WPLAYER" lisence plate)

P.S. The guys at my work said that he only did it because of my car.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It sucks but be glad the hassle was only 30 minutes of your time and not the hours it would take you to contest a ticket. I just went to court 2 weeks ago to contest an "unsafe speed" ticket- another judgement call. If you have a relatively clean record and intellegently challenge a judgement call ticket you will probably get off. Best way to go is net on the net and pull up the exact statues of traffic law in your state for your "offense". Then pick it apart, there usually is alot of language like "resonable and prudent" or "in a safe manner" use this to establish reasonable doubt. The sad fact of the matter is the cops can write you a ticket for anything they damn well please, you can either agree you're guilty and pay or go to court. If there's no physical evidence, radar, videotape, etc, creating resonable doubt is not that hard.

After the judge declared me not guilty he turned to me and said that he doesn't know what a Stealth looks like but he owns a Turbo Supra and that if you have custom paint and a vanity tag "police are going to notice you alot more"

Did you do something wrong? It doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is does the cop have enough evidence to stand in court. That's why he let you go with a waring...Take care and Drive Safe!

G

·
Well with 6 cops in the family I suppose that I qualify for a valid response here.
First... NEVER tell a cop that you're running late for anything. I guarantee that you'll be sitting for no apparent purpose for awhile. Second you actually did break the law per the rules of the road. You've gotta complete your pass in a valid passing zone.

G

·
Forgot to add this....
Never admit to anything... Per the law a police officer has to issue you a citation on your words. If you make a statement that you're were doing 75 in a 55, as far as the law is concerned that is called "An admission of guilt" and you'll be cited accordingly. This goes under the premise that there isn't extenuating proof to substantiate your claim (I.E. radar etc...).

G

·
Forgot to add this....
Never admit to anything... Per the law a police officer has to issue you a citation on your words. If you make a statement that you're were doing 75 in a 55, as far as the law is concerned that is called "An admission of guilt" and you'll be cited accordingly. This goes under the premise that there isn't extenuating proof to substantiate your claim (I.E. radar etc...).

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joe_F,
Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea where I can find a complete list of the driving laws for my state (Indiana), on the internet?
Thanks,
Player--'92 3000GT SL

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Player, your state probably has an official web site (e.g. http://www.moga.state.mo.us).

That web site may have links to the revised statutes (e.g. http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes/), or whatever they call them where you live.

If you're really lucky, then all the traffic laws will be in a single all-encompassing body, like the Ontario Highway Traffic Act. No such luck in Missouri, where they're spread out all over hell's half-acre.

G

·
Probably would not have been stopped if you had a regular plate instead of vanity. At least it was just a warning. If you had to fight it it would have probably be dropped anyway.

Justin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.