Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can wheel hop really hurt my car? Today I'm sitting at a light with my girl in the car and I go to take off (the road is wet) and suddenly I have a serious wheel hop with a knocking sound coming from the back. I barely hit the gas at all, and I just got new wider Pirelli's.
Thanks for any input.
Player--'92 3000GT SL
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Uhhh...?? Wheel hop in the BACK wheels? not possible unless you're hitting potholes or something as you have the FWD car. I get wheel hop every once in a while but it's on one of the front wheels. If you're getting that from a back wheel, you may have a strut that's served its time. Check your struts for the oils leaking out of them. On acceleration, you're not gonna get wheel hop on a back/non-driving wheel as it just drags along behind keeping the car in line. Potholes and speed bumps, however, will sometimes result in an odd sounding clunk from both the front and/or back. I've determined that it's normal as it's been that way in my car since i bought it and I've heard it in other's cars.

EricB

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was wheel hopping the front wheels, but there was a knocking sound coming from the back, more near the center and not the wheels.
Player--'92 3000GT SL

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Potentially coild have been your exhaust clunking around...? When you get that wheel hop going in these cars, it's pretty rigorous on the car and rattles everything, including the occupants, and I suspect it may have just been something getting a good shaking. I've heard a loud thunking when it happens in my car, but it comes from the front, and that's how I know I'm getting the wheel hop. Perhaps it was actually coming from the front, but sense you can also "feel" it in your tail, your senses passed the perception that it was coming from the rear?

EricB

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had absolutely no thought of it being in the rear. What I was getting at is, what was that clunking? Is it something with my transmission that I should be worried about or what? It would be absolutely rediculous to assume that wheel hope occurs in the rear wheels on a front wheel drive car.
Player

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Again William, I think the clunking you heard may have just been something getting jostled around a little from the front wheel hopping about. The wheel hop usually happens when you're "getting on it" and the tire just can't get the traction and starts to bounce. If you keep on the gas, the hop progressively gets worse and louder. And other things start to jostle about. You may hav just shaken things a bit in the car and part of the exhaust toward the back clunked up against the undercarriage of the car.

Basically, if you hear a clunking during something like wheel hop, I wouldn't worry none about it. I get a variety of odd sounds when that happens to me. I get little odd clunks when I go over speed-mountains - they seem to make the parking lot speed bumps bigger and bigger all the time! But I get it all the time so I just call it normal. Car works fine under normal driving or even aggressive driving.

EricB

·
3,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input.
Player

1 - 7 of 7 Posts