Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ya know it is funny how sometimes life just likes to f$#k you in the a$$ with a burning hot pitch fork isn't it? let me tell you about my week.

i have a totaled 92 VR-4 but the only real damage is to the frame and the body panels on the front so i was trying to find a car to do a "transplant" on. i came across a 92 VR-4 of the same color and everything in maryland for $5200 only problem was that it was way over in maryland. that sounded awesome to me so i started trying to buy it right away. my dad was going to washington DC this week so i had a week to set it up before my dad would have to leave either with the car or without it.

title issues:

first of all i found out why it was so cheep but it took me forever. the guy selling the car informed me after a few days of talking to him that the title was not acctually in his name (that is a lovely piece of info to leave out huh:rolleyes: ). anyway he said it was in his brother in law's name or something. that is why he was selling it so cheep because his brother got it at a dealer auction. then we said that was fine as long as whoever's name is on the title is there to make the sale. then we find out that he can't be there and he is not really a dealer anymore because his lot was closed or something. then we hear that the brother signed the title over to the mom of the guy i was buying it from and that was a problem because it would take several weeks to retitle it in her name and we did not have that much time. then we find out it wasn't signed to the mom but was still in the brother's name. then we FINNALY get them to fax a copy of the title and it is in a dealership's name. then i call the dealership and the person i talked to said they had never heard of that car. then they said someone else might. then i get a call from someone else at the dealership saying it was ok. then the dad of the guy selling the car gets pissed at me because i called the dealership. ut all in all it was legal just really odd. not really a dealership car or a private party car but i think they were going to have the dealership sell it for the private party.

temp tag issues:

there was also a ton of problems with this. we needed temp tags so my dad could drive it from maryland to colorado. we first heard that it was the seller's responcability in maryland to give them to us. then we heard that we could not get temp tags from maryland but rather we had to get the car, fax over the title to the DMV here, have a manager approve of it and issue temp tags, and then overnight mail the tags back to maryland so my dad could get them in time to leave. then we heard that we could not do this because the last name on the title was a dealership and not a private party so they had to issue us the tags. then we heard that the brother could not do this because he was not a dealer anymore. then finally we arranged it so the dealership on the title would give us temp tags for $250.

stories:

it was real hard to get any kind of straight stories out of the sellers even down to why they were selling the car. the 3 stories i got from the two parents of the seller and the seller were, 1) the car cost too much to insure, 2) the parents did not want their son to have this fast of a car for his first car, and 3) they were buying a house soon and they needed the money. i am not sure if one or all were true but that is what i heard. just finding out how they got the car or who it was titeled to was like pulling teeth but everything turned out legit, verified by the dealer so i don't know why this was so hard to find out.

repairs:

i had the car towed to a local mitsu dealership to get an inspection done. i had to get it towed because it had no tags or anything. the sellers said the car ran GREAT when they got it and when they were advertiseing it. then when they drove it the day before i took it into the dealership on a test drive with someone else who wanted to buy the car they said it felt sluggish and thought maybe there was a small problem like the IAC. they said the dealer would find some sort of problem but it would not be major and they would cover it. well the dealership gets it and the repair guy there says it is only fireing on 4 cylinders and that he needs to replace some coils to get it running correctly. i give him the ok and then the next day he says the coils were put in but it still only fired on 4 cylinders. this time he thought it was the MSD system that had been put in there. i gave him the ok to take this out too and rewire the stock system. then today (the last day before my dad leavs and the final day when we needed it running) he said that it was now fireing on all 6 but now there was some problem with the injectors that was due to the cranke angle sensor, the ecu, or some other thing i forgot. he said it could take up to 3 or 4 days to fix and it could cost a lot depending on what needed to be fixed. this was not something i could do because it would take too long and i had allready spent close to $800 on repairs, long distance phone charges, overnight delivery, tow charges etc. not to mention MANY MANY hours of talking, typeing, worrying, getting up way earlier than i had to because of the 2 hour time difference, and stressing out in general. the sellers sounded pissed because they were sure that there were no problems with the car and they thought the dealer was just trying to screw me out of money and take advantage of the situation. i do not know who to believe.

all in all, i did not get it. just found out a few hours ago about it for sure because i would need to ship it or haul it or something at this piont (according to the dealer) and with that expence it was not worth the price that seemed so good before. the dad was trying to get me to pay for a tow truck to haul it back to his house too, yea right. i just did $500+ of repairs on his car for nothing, he can pay for it. he was so sure the dealer was trying to screw me that he requested the parts the dealer took out in order to try to get me a refund after i got the car for a misdiognosis. so if the repair guy was full of it he could still get a refund for that. no way i was paying for another $100 towing, screw that. so now i am out $800 or more and i have nothing to show for it except some extra worry lines and some big bags under my eyes from not sleeping very much in the last week.

i really wish that this would have worked, i wanted to get everything fixed up so bad. i love my car so much and i think about it constantly. i am more concerned about my car and i think about it more than i do about girls and that is saying a lot for a straight 21 year old male. unlike many people who got this car to get girls, if i had a choice of either sleeping with the sexiest girl ever or fixing my car the way i want it, i would choose the car hands down. i am so depressed and i know it is stupid because there are so many other things in life but i can't help it. i would o just about anything to fix my car and get it the way i want. i should be thankful that i am doing well inschool, that i am able to go to school, that i have a great family and friends, that i live in a nice place and have plenty to eat and all that, i could go on for hours on what i should be thankful and content with but i am still depressed and bitter because i want my car fixed so bad.:( oh well, i think a lot of you can probably relate. this board is my only sanctuary. i seriously spend hours and hours a day on here. it is the next best thing to acctually having my car in good working order. i guess between my car being totaled and this many people would say it was not ment to be and just move on but F&$K THAT! i will do this if it is the last thing i ever do. i love this car. i allready blew all my insurance money on new parts for when i get this done so i am committed.

if anyone knows of a first gen that is real cheep and does not necessarily need a hood, engine, turbos, seats, intercoolers, exhaust and some other stuff let me know. sorry for this book and thanks for allways answering my questions and giving support.:mitsu:

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
hmm... I actually know where there is a 1992 Stealth R/T TT- Green, grey interior, sun roof- it's in OKC- likely go for $5000 as it is- needs a radiator, CPS, and that's it.

You care?

It's actually one that I tried to buy for $2000 and they said they wanted more. That- or buy Hans's N/A AWD.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sqhopeful- pasadena is the place where the sellers are. i think they are totally legit and honest, it is just that all the info i got from them was like pulling teeth. the dealership is in glen bernie. i have no idea if the dealer was just messing with me, i do not think he was but i allways tend to trust people too easily.

Shadowfax- thanks, do you know the miles on it? i might be interested but i am looking for a mitsu if i can get it because i basically want to rebuild my car and not have to do a ton of extra work in a conversion.

·
hellbent in a dodge Viper
8,699 Posts
Reminds me kind of my recent experience but not that bad.

I get a project car contact. I work the deal out for 3500(4 bolt main, spun bearing, needs paint, 3rd gear synchro going bad, 18 spline i think) 92 vr4 (17 inch chrome rims-which i liked alot, 13g greddy kit(7k on em), new rubbers).

Hell Im like the greddy's are worth what? 800 used? rims are prob worth 600 used.

I rent a big new buick from Avis(117$ for the trip) since I want to ride in some style. Put 950 miles on that thing and 14 hours(1 hour of sleep i think).

I show up and the back rubbers arent new(about half gone maybe). Paint is really trashed, seats suck ass. Window seals are gone. This guy is not a mechanic in any sense I believe.

The engine is on a pallet(i knew this) and parts are all in trunk(I think I got em all at least).

So i tell him 3000k, he says okay. He says for 100 more he'll toss in the old vr4 rims, cool deal is done.

Off to uhaul. I get there... The trailer tires are bald and not to mention one is flat... I spend an hour there

(at this point im thinking WTF im paying 3000 for a POS... then i add it up again... greddys rims.. eh... I talk to my Dad and he's like no problem we can paint it... I about fell over when my Dad who is usually against anything ive ever done want's to get this deal done????, so I was like eh...)

They call and 25 miles away is another trailer. So i drive the truck there drive back...

Load the car and the parts all up in it and spend the next 18 hours driving back to ohio. (2 hours of sleep).

The car is basically in parts and everything is looking pretty clean on it actually so i think I got a "fair" deal but it wasnt easy.

driving that damn uhaul was no friggin fun but i made it. I think all the deer were already killed by the time i made it back :)

Dead deer mush everywhere. Im still jet lagged from the weekend but im happy...

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ryan- yea, i got your email, sorry i have been trying to make this deal go through in all my free time and before that i was studying for exams non stop. i got to manuver (sp?) my car into a better position and then i would be redy to start work on the engine when you are.

mikes2nd- yea, i would love to find a car like that. bad engine and tranny and sell it cheep to me. i have tons of stuff i need in the totaled car and what i broke can either easily be replaced or i have allready purchased (for example i got a CF hood and a fmic because i messed mine up). how much did the uhaul with trailer cost you? i allways saw the $19.95 for the small trucks painted on the back and i thought that was way to cheep but when the guy quoted me "nineteen ninety five" i thought he ment $19.95 (seems too cheep) not $1995.00:eek: (and then another $400 for the trailor thing to put the car on). shit for two grand i would buy a new friggen car to tow the trailor and then sell it when i get here. that is rediculous.

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
That is weird. I followed that link that Sugardaddy posted then clicked the "Vehicle History Report" button and it said:

VIN: JA3XE74C3NY065977
Year: 1992
Make: Mitsubishi
Model: 3000gt Spyder Base Model
Style/Body: 4 Passenger 2 Dr Coupe
Engine: 3.0L V 6 TT OHV Gas EFI
Country of Assembly: Japan

Kind of strange that it's a 1992 Spyder Base model isn't it:p

Good reliable info:rolleyes:

·
3si member #294
3,397 Posts
ikOnone said:
ryan- yea, i got your email, sorry i have been trying to make this deal go through in all my free time and before that i was studying for exams non stop. i got to manuver (sp?) my car into a better position and then i would be redy to start work on the engine when you are.

mikes2nd- yea, i would love to find a car like that. bad engine and tranny and sell it cheep to me. i have tons of stuff i need in the totaled car and what i broke can either easily be replaced or i have allready purchased (for example i got a CF hood and a fmic because i messed mine up). how much did the uhaul with trailer cost you? i allways saw the $19.95 for the small trucks painted on the back and i thought that was way to cheep but when the guy quoted me "nineteen ninety five" i thought he ment $19.95 (seems too cheep) not $1995.00:eek: (and then another $400 for the trailor thing to put the car on). shit for two grand i would buy a new friggen car to tow the trailor and then sell it when i get here. that is rediculous.
Thats cool, hopefully something will work out for you. I move next week so after that I should have lots more free time to help!

All I ask for in return for pulling your motor is your new seats! Cant beat that deal! haha j/k

Ryan

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
word a base model TT! so it has turbos that it does not have, dope. i will check it out but i do not even want a sunroof, never mind a convertable. still that info must be wrong on multiple points so why not this one lol.

ryan- sounds good. why don't i buy you another house too;) . i will compensate you fairly but not my seats please:crying2: :scared:

:p

·
Whatever Man
2,678 Posts
Life is what you make of it. If you want life to be a bitch, then it will be. Find the car you want, even if you have to drive a 2 day round trip to get her. It's kinda like getting a dog; you're stuck with her for a few years, so you might as well look around and find the right one now. You don't wanna get stuck with a bitch for the next few years. (Pun intended) ;)

·
hands drop, the BS stops
772 Posts
ikOnone said:
sqhopeful- pasadena is the place where the sellers are. i think they are totally legit and honest, it is just that all the info i got from them was like pulling teeth. the dealership is in glen bernie. i have no idea if the dealer was just messing with me, i do not think he was but i allways tend to trust people too easily.
lol, the dena and glen dirty... some of the shadiest places in maryland.

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through all of that. But I have always found that hardword and effort always pays off. You will end up with what you want in the end, you just need to deal with the obstacles as they arrive.

Also, as for the repairs that you did on the car. You are intitled to your money back. I would find out about filing a small claims court case to get at least some of your money back. That guy should have paid you without blinking an eye. Don't let yourself get walked all over.

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
as for the repairs that you did on the car. You are intitled to your money back
I disagree, feel sorry for you dude, but can't believe you paid for any repairs to someone elses car. Should never have got that far. I would have told him that if he fixes the broke items you'll pay "x amount" over the price, and let him fix it. If he doesn't, you go get a different car.

I understand your circumstances and reasoning, just would not have done it that way myself. Never go blind when buying another persons used car, sometimes it is easy to get psyched when you get that close, but dishing out 800 for repairs to a strangers car without first working out arrangements with the seller for reimbursment was foolhardy. Also, don't get hung up on the color of the car, get a good car with low miles, the color you can always change for 400 bucks at Maaco or other cheap shop. Paying out the nose for specific color car isn't a good idea. Value of the car rarely follows the paint color. There were only 92 of my color produced, but it doesn't make it worth 2k more.

Lord Warlock

·
hellbent in a dodge Viper
8,699 Posts
Um the total trip cost was around 800
117 for the car + 40 in gas

537 for the trailer and
for the truck (unlimited milage for 4 days)

100 for gas back.

I was quoted 650 from a car carrier but they refused to deal with the engine being out. And besides I wouldnt have been able to see the vehicle and check it out when i got there.

·
SLQQQQW butwilkilya
4,727 Posts
Wait for my story in the coming weeks. Different story but with some similarities...dishonest sellers. I'm talking to a lawyer already about a possible legal remedies. \

Good luck to you iKonone. Congrats to mikes2nd for getting ur car.

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
Lord Warlock said:

I disagree, feel sorry for you dude, but can't believe you paid for any repairs to someone elses car. Should never have got that far. I would have told him that if he fixes the broke items you'll pay "x amount" over the price, and let him fix it. If he doesn't, you go get a different car.
Well you are right. If I was the guy selling the car, I would have paid him for all the repairs he did. That is the fair and just thing to do.

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
That is the fair and just thing to do.
I agree that would be the fair and just thing to do, but where is it written everyone is fair and just. Usually someone is selling the vehicle because they can't afford to fix it anymore, and spending 800 for repairs that he didn't want to pay for is hardly fair to the seller now is it? Not sure why the deal fell through, it could have been fixed after his dad returned then shipped when clear. Maybe a deal could have been struck to split expenses for shipping.

Sounds to me like the poster got a little carried away with trying to get the car, i've never heard anyone that tried to repair a vehicle before title was officially transferred.

LW

1 - 20 of 23 Posts