Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was racing some of my friends cars tonight. We raced off the line several times and I finally for the very first time got a great launch. I launched at around 3500 to 4000 rpm and it pulled and jumped hard. God it was a great feeling. Now I know why it pays to have AWD. No car stands a chance with a launch like that. God I love AWD!

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
:D

It's alllllll good!

well,... until the tranny goes. :(

:p HAHAAHAH

Elton

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thats right around the RPM range I launch at, its still safe for the trannny, and it will set your ass back in the seat :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah, you were launching good then, and I really just started to suck once you got going. I really wonder why I wasn't faster than you with more boost? Is my timing getting so retarded that more boost really doesn't do anything?

·
In charge
1,814 Posts
The best way to give yourself wiplash is to launch one of these bad boys that way. What a great feeling!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i didnt really know how to launch this car until I finally had a good launch. I launched at around 3500-4000 rpms and it just shot me and my girlfriend to the seats. It was practically whiplash. I mean the force was amazing. After that launch i finally knew why these cars are unbeatable off the line. QuonoS there you are. You had some good launches too. I will be getting in touch with you about Roswell.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Elmo said:
:D

It's alllllll good!

well,... until the tranny goes. :(

:p HAHAAHAH

Elton
If he's slipping quickly at below 4k (which is what it sounds like), he's not going to hurt the transmission (any more than normal agressive driving), he'll just need to buy a new clutch every year. ;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Dude, you haven't launched 'till you side-step the clutch at 7,000...but it's your drivetrain...not mine. :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
That is a beautiful car, N2 TRBL! I'd been meaning to compliment you on it since I first saw your sig a while back. Do you ever run her at the track?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks a bunch!

Unfortunately, I'm one of those scary little bitches that claim 400+HP and 450+ LBS of torque, and don't back it up at the track. The truth is, I baby her and have taken her to car shows. No track time yet.

Since I used to have a VR-4 that I'd launch at 7,000 RPMs, I have to learn how to launch this 428 ci RWD bitch. All I've been able to accomplish, is spinning through all four gears...like a friggin moron. I have tried to feather the gas, but no dice...god, I miss that AWD. hehe

Some day, I'll buy a pair of slicks to throw on her and run her down the quarter. Stock times from 1969 say she'd run [email protected], but I don't know is she is even running par now. The engine was rebuilt about 3,000 miles ago (before I bought her), so I don't know what kind of job was done. I'll say this: I FEEL all 450 lbs when I slam her down to the floor!

BTW, it's a 1969 Mustang Mach1 428 Super Cobra JET (equipped with ram air, drag-pack, close ratio 4-speed, & 3.91 gears)...all stock...about 31,000 original miles.

·
Registered
330 Posts
N2 TRBL said:

Since I used to have a VR-4 that I'd launch at 7,000 RPMs, I have to learn how to launch this 428 ci RWD bitch. All I've been able to accomplish, is spinning through all four gears...like a friggin moron. I have tried to feather the gas, but no dice...god, I miss that AWD. hehe
That's a lot of power going to two wheels.... I certainly couldn't launch it ;)

N2 TRBL said:
BTW, it's a 1969 Mustang Mach1 428 Super Cobra JET (equipped with ram air, drag-pack, close ratio 4-speed, & 3.91 gears)...all stock...about 31,000 original miles.
I remember reading the story about the low miles... that's a heck of a find. You're a lucky man to be custodian of that machine. I think that's what its all about really: recognizing that there are certain types of cars where one is less an owner than a caretaker for future generations :D

I'll lay off the cheese now. All kidding aside, I try to launch my car with mechanical empathy. I push her hard, but I differentiate between launching and jerking. I slip very fast, with fairly high revs, and my neck is snapped back in a big way, with an occasional tire chirp.... but I don't feel any jerks or clunks.... its a fairly smooth engagement, as opposed to what I'm sure would happen sidestepping. I can smell the clutch afterward, though. :D

I wish a strip were open so I could get some times and have a more accurate idea of my times. Curse you New England winter!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts