Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help ... I dont thing my VR4 is running properly ...

I just got my 1996 VR4 last saturday (Nov. 17th). I dont think my car is running correctly. One indication is that i am prolly only getting around 12 to 14 mpg, I had trouble catching up to a Volvo (he was ahead of me and he stomped it and then i stomped it in 3rd doing 60 and it took me awhile to pass him) the belts are screaching at 5500 to 6500 rpm (i just need to tighten them), an there is a Chirping/squeaking noise coming from the water pump area ...

Does anyone Live in Austin, Tx or know of a Tuner Shop in my area that I can take my car to.

My biggest concerns is the Squeaking/Chirping noise from the engine and the Horrible gas mileage ... I am literally only getting 100 miles every half tank!!! Correct me if i am wrong but VR4s have a 20 gallon tank so i am getting roughly 10 mlies to the gallon ... that is shitty!!!

I know that I have posted alot but I dont know anything about working on these cars ... I am only 17 years old ... but i can follow instructions really good and i have all the correct tools .... my dad knows quit a bit about engines as well!!!

If someone that knows alot about VR4s could e-mail me at
< [email protected] > and maybe give me some pointers on how to fix these problems or if you live in Austin and would be willing to meet up with me and look at my car ... I would greatly appreciate your help!

Thanks for all your help!!!
-Austen

·
Registered
261 Posts
how many miles on the car??

just wondering where we stand here and what might need to be fixed....

cheers,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OOPS ... 106,000 miles

there are 106,000 miles on th car .. it is in excelent condition on the outside and inside ... a few scratches and one dent ... it looks brand new .. well as good as any car with 100,000 miles so i am guessing it was taken good care of ... it was first owned by a doctor who sold it at 40k miles ... then the second owner gave it to his bro when he found out he had cancer .. and he bought a dodge viper RT and had pland to turbocharge the viper ... so he prolly alos took good care of it .. then his bro got it this july and barely drove it and decided to sell it becaues it reminded him of his Bro .... so all in all the only problems there are with car are the ones listed Above (belts screaching, chirping/squeaking noise, and the horrid gas mileage)

i hope that helps ... thanks alot

Austen

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it might have something to do with the O2 sensors

Might have something to do with the O2 sensors ... but then again i dont knwo anything about these cars ... so please help me out guys!!!

·
Running With Scissors
2,654 Posts
go to Texasracingscene.com and ask about a good import mechanic. Take it there and have him do the entire 60K (or I guess 90k in this case) service. Also have him do a complete inspection of the car. The 60K should take care of the belt noise, anything plug/wire related, and if you indeed have a bad water pump, that will be replaced too. O2's may very welll have something to do with it, but I think you should have the 60K done anyway, it will not hurt anything and is money well spent.

Oh, did you get a chance to talk to Jody about your system/alarm?

·
F orum Whore/troll
847 Posts
RichK from z32.org is a mech in austin. go there e mail him and see if they have a dsm TECH. im guessing it's an O2 or a pcv that has gone out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for the help ...

no i havent had a chance to go anywhere and talk to Jody yet. We have had company down from oregon

i am prolly just a dumb ass but what does DSM stand for ...

again thanks for your help ...

·
Running With Scissors
2,654 Posts
DSM- Diamond Star Motors (Eclipse, Talon, Galant VR-4)

Our cars are made by Mitsu, but not considered "DSM"s. Though, a good DSM mechanic will know a lot more about our cars than a normal street mech.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Gillman on south 35 and what used to be town north up on 183 are the two dealers in town. I've been to both and trust them about as much as I'd trust any shop with my VR4. dealers have the right diagnostic hardware though so I'd start there. Probably i'd tip slightly towards Gillman.

There's a Japanese Autotech place on 4th or 5th down town and a jap import place on south Lamar.

personally i do all i can myself so i can't vouch for any place in town.

Where abouts are you in Austin? Ahh lake Austin. I'm 15 mins south of you. Maybe we could hook up but i don't know if i can help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks

I think i am going to take it to a Dealer ... even thought they charge ALOT!!!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
where are these guys?

·
racing is war
1,418 Posts
I could be wrong but isn't Dynamic racing in texas? Matt Monett i would think should know a thing or two about our cars ;)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
hehe. they're in an odd plac about ten minutes away from work, but i don't think they do any installation. just a .com selling parts online. they may not even have a storefront.

Matt is in New mexico. about 13 hours away.

·
racing is war
1,418 Posts
thats right

My bad i knew it was somewher eout that way though

·
Registered
119 Posts
Try Brad Bedell he was in Austin. I know he was talking about moving, don't know if he has yet. He has worked on my car 3 times for upgrades and he has a "Big Reds" brake kit for our cars.
He's a good guy and knows our cars inside and out.
[email protected]

·
Registered
708 Posts
I think that part of your low gas mileage is coming from clogged fuel injectors. Have the mechanic run some "full throttle" through your fuel system, that's some good stuff, got me an extra 5mpg.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts