Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
rock climbing addict
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story --short version, sunday--took 92 plymouth acclaim to boston.(friends car, friend driving), on the way back tire blew out, changed tire, skidded on ice on the onramp, curbed out blew the donut and cracked the transmission pan.(didnt know tranny was busted at this point) monday-- took my 92 vr4 to get a new tire, then left for Mass to fix friends tire my car dies, something electrical. (never got off campus) later that night another Friend takes spare tire in '94 saab we go to Mass, water pump blows up at the exit where we left the 92 acclaim. got it towed to the same parking lot. (this is when we changed the acclaims tire and found out the tranny was busted and the fluid all leaked out.)eventually got back to UCONN, AAA knows us by name now. Tuesday, changed the battery in my Vr4. turned it on. looks good. drive to the end of the street, when i put in the clutch the car almost dies, it wont idle above 500rpm and seems about to die. odd thing is, its obviously not the battery since thats new, i thought the alternator, but as long as i keep it at 2500rpms or higher i have no problems. this is ok as long as i dont have to stop or hit the breaks :rolleyes: im pretty pissed, i guess my next step is to replace the alternator, unless someone has any ideas. remember im a broke college kid so cheaper is better. the best part is the whole reason all this shit went wrong is because i was taking some kids back to boston to make some money for a road trip. ive now spent all that money plus a bunch more and i cant road trip cause all 3 of our cars are busted. Its so ironic its sickening.

sorry so long but i had to vent

Murpheys Law victim # 1
--john

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
sounds like IAC on the VR-4

·
rock climbing addict
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from what i understand of the IAC, that would cause problems with idle. which seems to describe the problem i had today. but the car was idling fine yesterday before the battery died. and i wouldnt think the IAC would keep the car from being started or cause the battery or electrical to fail. also for a few weeks now i have noticed that sometimes when i hit the brakes the dashlights (indiglos) would flash out for a second, and the lights might dim, but the idle stayed constant. does this still sound like the IAC? im super open to suggestions, but i dont know that much about electrical, and im pretty limited in what i can do here at school. I guess i could drag it to a dealer, but they usually misdiagnose the problems and over charge. any help appreciated
--John

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
You know that if they mis diagnose you dont have to pay for shit.....

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Tonight, you should unplug your battery again. TOmmorrow when you start the car let it run idle for 30 minutes. Then turn off the car. Then 5 minutes later, drive it

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
damn! that friggin sucks! sorry bud. i would try to clean the IAC. it only costs about $5 for some degreaser or something and does not take very long to do.

·
rock climbing addict
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i undid the battery again, then plugged it up and let it idle and drove it around for half an hour. It learned to idle at 750 agian, but if i turn on the ac, it stays at 750 instead of jumping to 1200 like it used to, and the headlights dim a little bit untill i rev the engine. any ideas whats wrong now?

·
Registered
310 Posts
That's exactly what my car did until I changed the IAC. Got it for $247 online at www.mitsupartsdirect.com (they actually just sent out an email with that item at $217.75 Part #MD628053 for the month of November... hurry). Mention you are from this web site for the discount. My dealer was asking $329.

If you do a search for IAC, you will see that some people considered this part to be very easy to change yourself. I am mechanically challenged and had it done by a local shop. All symptoms gone.

·
Registered
341 Posts
My 92 SOHC had the same idle prob. O2 sensors did the trick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.