Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my cars was doing the same thing up to last week. I would clean the battery post charge the battery and everything would work fine for about two days. I would get a jump and it would charge up and work fine for the rest of the day, even starting under a load like having the lights and everything on. Next day dead againg, or it would start and then a couple of hours later it would be dead. Tested the battery; dead cell. Got a new battery and it has had no problem for a couple of weeks. I am betting on you battery.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Happened to me the 4th or 5th time.. Freakin car won't start. It was fine yesterday. Now the battery have no juice. I just got the alernator put in a month or so ago untill yesteday. It doing the same $hit. Any Advice what should I look for. The battery is not that old either maybe a year. Argh!!! if it's the alernator I am gonna kill that mechanic..dayem!!!

Raja
94 vr4
thanks for lettin me vent it out here..

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I would have the battery checked first. If you were having alternator probs, and consistently running down the battery, that could have damaged it. Have a load test done (usually free at auto parts shops). Really crappy batteriesshould last more than a year, but occasionally, one slips through the cracks.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I am taking it to the dealer the first thing in the morning and hopefully they will be open on sunday morning....the thing is I got a used alternator in my car and I have no idea if that is the thing that went wrong with it. The dealer was asking for $380 for alternator and $250 for labor and I got it all done $127 + $70(alternator).But if it turns out to tbe the alernator I am getting it fixed from the dealer. F*[email protected] the price.

Raja
94 Vr4

R

·
0 Posts
Consider this: Battery manufacturers intend for the battery to fail brfore its warranty time expires. This costs a little in warranty credit but gets the customer back for another one damn near every time! Let us know if the battery fixes it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The dealer had a look at it and the Charging system turned out to be fine. Today too when I left the Stereo Switches ( 2 swtiches on the whole system..amps, speakers, etc) OFF and the the left it over night and the car started right up when I started it the next afternoon. So I am sure it's something to do with the Audio System wiring . The Dealer said that somethign widthraws 71 miliamps even when the car is off.

Gonna let the guys who installed my stereo check it on SAturday and I'll let you guys know. Thanks for the replies though guys.

Raja
94 Vr4

J

·
0 Posts
Raja,

I used to be a battery/alternator replacement engineer over at Sears when I was 17. There are tests you can run/have run to check alt and your battery. The load test on the battery will tell if you have a dead cell. Measuring the voltage across the terminals with the engine running will give you the alternator voltage. Should be running about 13.8 VDC. Note that your battery should read about 12 VDC, of course, without the engine running. I wouldn't run down to the dealer so quick. They will definitely rip you off, as I can see from the prices they quoted you. Take your car to a good battery/alternator shop. A rebuilt alternator, by the way, is just as good as a new one, and is unlikely to fail. If it does, it will most likely be the internal voltage regulator. If that's the case, your voltage running will be low. To check to see if your stereo is draining the power, put an ammeter in series with your amp power wire (+) and see if you have any current drain. A few milliamps will not be the cause. However, if you are drawing something like 1 amp or so, you do have a problem as this will slowly drain your battery. I just don't want to see you spend uneccesary money at a dealership. If I can help you further, send me an email.

PS - I'm an electrical engineer now, and have toyed with electronics, stereos, and other gadgets for years. So I can probably help ya out.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts