Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home from work tonight I hit a deer. Luckily, not much damage, mostly the right front headlight and mirror, and also got the right front fender. I guess I am lucky because it could have been much worse. Just had to blow of some steam.

Ray
3SI member 1222

F

·
0 Posts
Hey FYRBALL I hear ya! Here in NC I see dead deer about ever 1/4 on the roads, its bad. My aunt hit a doe about a week ago in her Saturn. Did about $1500 damage. At least your alright!:D

·
2,994 Posts
What's for dinner, Bambi?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Did you kill the deer or did it run off scared? Glad you are okay!

·
Sc300-2jzgte coming soon
2,047 Posts
isnt this the 3rd time that a deer has been hit by a 3S in a month? WTF

V

·
0 Posts
Yeah,I know how you feel:( I've been there,done that.
Glad you and your car are OK.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The deer took off. The Stealth is still drivable, but I will need to fix or replace the headlight assy. I probably won't get it properly repaired until spring. I am guessing that it will be at least $2000 damage. but not sure since it is just going to be replacable parts, like the fender, Mirror, headlight assy, side marker, and snake eye. A small repair on the hood and door, and painting. I think the deer kicked my headlight before running into the side of the fender. I am thinking about $1000 in parts, plus at least that much in labor, and paint materials. Maybe I will just refresh my bodywork skills and do it myself. Used to be a bodyman about 10 years ago, so it shouldn't be to hard, if I can find a place to paint it.

Ray
3SI member 1222

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
Sounds familiar. I hit a deer doing 55 about 5 years ago in my 91 RT TT on cruise control. Didn't do much damage, mainly to the front driver side but it sure messed up the deer.

I hit another one Last night in the same place with my jeep. I think it did more damage to the jeep. Took out the grill and a couple marker lights. I was just about this time of year last time.

I know in both instances I took the deer out. Dam those things bounce a long ways. :)

I went back to look for it in both instances but could never find it. Damn, wanted to drop a slug in it's head for being dumb enough to walk in front of me. I have found in both cases it's best not to try to swerve unless you are sure what is around you (I didn't have a choice. Guardrail on one side and concrete wall on the other) and don’t slam on your brakes unless you are sure you have enough time to stop. If you do you front end dips down and the deer has a better chance of coming through the windshield.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Glad that you are ok.. sorry to hear about the car. Last night a friend and I hit a deer in his 89 Bronco.. going about 50. Unfortunalty for the deer it ended up all over the place. When we hit it, it just exploded.. pretty gruesome.
Hope you can get the car fixed all nice and shiny again..

·
Registered
466 Posts
Liu Kang said:
What's for dinner, Bambi?

heh damn free meat is good shit..... Wish they have some deers here in Cali that I can hit and take it home... Haven't try deer meat in ages:D :D

·
Mod O' Day Pron
4,021 Posts
Hey Mattyboy

Hey Matt. Haven't talked to you in ages. Hope you don't mind, but I used a pic I did of your car in my portfolio. I sent my resume out to an advertising company, and they wanted 30 or so examples of graphics, non work related. So I burned a bunch of 3SI graphics, sig pics, etc... This is the one I submitted. I sent one with enz's car to. :D

FYRBall MT, Glad you didn't get hurt buddy!

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did get one estimate today. Still waiting for a couple more. The first estimate is over $5000, but they are going to use all new parts including the hood. A bodyman friend, and I think the hood can be saved pretty easy, and maybe even the fender. I thank everyone that E-mailed me with the parts they have, and the only thing I am still looking for is the RT headlight assy. A new fender isn't priced to bad at under $200, so I will probably go with a new fender. I pulled on the fender a littl today, and it should pull out easy, but I don't want to do to much just in case an insurance adjuster want to look at it.

Ray
3SI member 1222

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
Dude I feel for you. I just went through the same shit.

I bought all the parts myself, cause I get a huge discount at my local dealer from where I used to work there, and had the body shop paint and install them. Here is a breakdown of what it cost me:

Hood - $394.90
Fender - $221.10
Hood hinges - $25.85 each
Snake eye/turnsignal - $62.81
Headlight pop-up assembly - $200.00 (bought used from a member on here.)
Headlight door - $36.14
Headlight bezel 1 of 2 - $25.85
Headlight bezel 2 of 2 - $21.95
Hood silencer/insulator - $41.69
All the labels under the hood - $12.56
Labor from the body shop - $1469.93

Total = $2538.63

Good luck with your repair.

Chris

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
Oh I just remembered...if you need a right(passenger side) headlight, I know who may have one. It is off a VR-4 but it will work, you will just have to get a new headlight door and bezels cause they are a little different. Search for Vinay7777 and email him about it. I bought his left side headlight, so he prolly still has the right side and a 92 hood if you need that too.

Chris

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I hit a rabitt going 70 the other day it didnt hurt anyhting though I was really suprised.

Why dont you do a 99 conversion since your going to have to screw with all that crap neways :)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I now have 2 estimates, both are over $5000. There is zero damage to any thing other then body panels. this is all replacing panels and paint work. You can call me strange, but I like the popup headlights, so a 99 conversion is out, but I will probably buy a fiberglass hood, and if I can find them, fenders. I can paint the jambs myself, and install the parts, so I just would need to get the front painted, and blended into the doors. I would think I could do it pretty easily for $5000.

Ray
3SI member 1222

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Hey, email me if you're interested in a popup headlight, I'm converting my '91 Stealth TT front to a '95. I use [email protected] for email these days.

-Chris Wood

1 - 20 of 20 Posts