Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

After pulling my intake plenum and replacing it with a new one, plus new gaskets and all that stuff, I finally got just about everything bolted back together and was ready for a test drive. When tightening the last couple bolts holding the plastic cover to the plenum above the fuel rail, one of them slipped out of my hands, immediately filling me with anxiety and dread. I heard the pinging of the bolt bouncing left and right until it came to rest. Unfortunately, the bolt did not come to rest underneath the car, but rather somewhere in the engine bay. What harm could this little bolt cause, after all, when it was most likely just going to fall out of the bay at some point when hitting a hard bump while driving?

I was very wrong to even ask myself this question. With my luck, the bolt ended up bouncing past all intake pipes and I’m almost certain it ended up going into the service hole on the bellhousing. How do I know? I test drove the car yesterday and noticed during shifts that the car would vibrate horribly when letting the clutch out (only sometimes). Other times it engaged perfectly fine with no vibration. I also found it difficult to get into first gear at a stoplight if I wasn’t already rolling. That’s when I knew for certain that the bolt had sandwiched itself between the clutch friction disk and flywheel, causing it to drag. Either that or the bolt was interfering with the TOB. Either way, not good.

I stopped driving it after that test drive yesterday and put it up on jack stands in the garage. I removed the starter in hopes that maybe I could avoid pulling the trans (for the third summer in a row) and just get the bolt to eventually drop out from that location. I haven’t had any luck yet, but I am waiting until I know for sure that transaxle removal is imminent before I give up. If anyone could please give me tips/advice/words of comfort, I would really appreciate that right now. I love my VR4 but I don’t know if I can handle taking the trans out in 110°+ heat again. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

To add, yes I have tried sticking my telescoping magnet in the trans, no luck. Shop vac with a small hose taped to the end of it also appears to be useless. I’m willing to try just about anything that doesn’t require removal of the transaxle or drilling a hole in the bottom of it for the bolt to fall out of.

Jared
‘95 VR-4 (six speed)

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,683 Posts
That sucks. From where are you scoping? Based on what you described, I would use the fork boot... should be obvious. You can also observe the travel and extension of the CSS rod.

//edit// I meant to say "CSC" for slave cylinder.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That sucks. From where are you scoping? Based on what you described, I would use the fork boot... should be obvious. You can also observe the travel and extension of the CSS rod.

I was trying from the service hole it fell into with no luck. I’ll try the clutch fork opening next.
I’m a little dumb, what is the CSS rod? I assume CS stands for Counter Shaft but again, i’m oblivious. Edit: Wow I must be an idiot. Does CS rod stand for Clutch Slave?

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
14,910 Posts
I would listen to Alan.
He's one of the few "mechanics" left on the site, and he knows his SHIET.
Besides, I just saw a picture of him (PSYCHO!) and his son (almost newborn!) earlier today.
If he can handle fatherhood, he "probably" can handle these "machines"...

(You know I love you Alan [No H O M O])....

Bob. :)

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,683 Posts
I meant "CSC" for clutch slave cylinder - my mistake. Just helping to rule out the two things that you think are happening.

Bob - haha that is my stuck-at-home, rugged af appearance... gotta rock the beard since not everyone is able to do so 🙃😆

·
Registered
17,547 Posts
I'll be blown away if you actually got a bolt in your clutch. Those are astronomically low odds... It's probably in the valley below the water pipe.

But if you're convinced it's in your clutch, all you can do is mark the clutch with a sharpie and then slowly spin the engine with the crank pulley bolt until you find the bolt. If you can't see it and driving it doesn't fix it, you get to pull the trans. Oh well, it's easy, don't be scared.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm with Adam. The chances of a bolt making its way in there are so so slim, if it is possible at all to drop one in from above. Your symptoms sound like a an issue with the clutch slave or related.
If you have a hoist you can probably have the tyranny seperated from the engine (just suspended) in a few hours max. That will tell you for sure if the bolt made it in. If it did please update! That would be fascinating.
Good luck! These cars will test you, but they are worth it!
Edit: you have to pull the intake to get the trans out anyway, so do that first and give it a good once over for that missing bolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts