Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tire Pumper Extraordinair
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of the A-pillar wind noise, and the light window glass rattle going over bumps, is caused by the top middle glass stopper being improperly set. This is the adjustable stopper near the middle of the door, at the top, that can be adjusted with a 14mm (or was it 12mm?) socket and can be turned so that it pushes outward a certain amount on the glass when it's all the way up. If it's too far out, then the glass doesn't seal tightly by the a-pillar. If it's too far in, then the glass is loose and rattles a lot.

Here is the perfect method for adjusting this stopper:

1) Put window all the way down.

2) Remove door panel.

3) Remove door panel window switch assembly
mechanism from door panel.

4) Plug switch assembly pack into harness in door panel. This allows you to raise/lower the window with the panel off.

5) Loosen stop so it is very slack.

6) Get in car, close door, raise window. The glass will now be in the perfect spot.

7) Adjust stopper so that it is pressing tightly against the glass. Tighten it up good and tight. While you're at it, you may want to fiddle with the other top stopper near the door handle side (at the top as well) of the door. I moved mine as forward as possible to also support the glass.

8) Lower window, open door to get out of car then remove switch assembly from harness and install back into the door panel.

9) Replace door panel.

That's it! I know this is sort of obvious in a way. However I myself (and others I've talked to) always seem to use the method of adjusting (or trying to) the glass with the door open, then putting everything back together, then doing a test drive hoping we lucked out and set it properly. The trick here is to loosen the stopper, close the door, roll the window all the way up and then tighten the stopper and not try to do the adustments with the door open.

Ted

·
This, too, shall pass.
4,458 Posts
2Mitsus said:
Good info.

Now if I could only get my rear hatch to stop rattling :(
Mine too. My plastic is cracked where some screws hold the plastic to the hatch itself.

Good post, I wish we had permission to post in the HOW TO section :)

·
boo boo
1,562 Posts
2Mitsus said:
Good info.

Now if I could only get my rear hatch to stop rattling :(

Are you talking about the plastic pieces around the hatch window?

A piece of Black electrical tape did the trick for me :) And since the plastic is black, it's hard to spot.

-uli

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
nice, do you think that same stopper is responsible for the window sqeauling when it retracts? I was trying to locate the source, but it was hard to tell. I am going to give this a shot.

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all!

2Mitsus- Do you know which section in the hatch is causing the noise?

Stealthlude- Depending during what point the noise occurs. I silenced my doors by using silicon spray ($2/can). I'm guessing it's the molding that runs the entire length of the door panel at the top. Get some silicon spray from Walmart/Napa/Pep Boys/etc and spray the heck out of everything until it goes away. I do however have my (edit: rear by the door handle) stopper adjusted so tight that it makes a small thunk noise right at the very bottom when the window is opening for a small fraction of a second but I don't mind.

Ted

·
Hitokiri Battousai
8,545 Posts
Is it possible to get some pictures of adjustment points for someone that is going to be doing this? This will be going into the how-to forum shortly, and adding some pictures for noobs would make this perfect. :)

·
Head of Society of Bob
3,889 Posts
:stupid: excellant write-up. A few pics would polish it off nicely. Even for the non-n00b's among us. :D

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I didn't think of the write up until after I put the door panel back on. :p However, I still have to do my passenger side one. I'll try and get some pics then if somebody doesn't beat me to it.

Also, if Jeff Lucas doesn't mind you can steal the pics from here:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-door-panel.htm

Actually, I went ahead and did it, can somebody verify with Jeff?

Attached are:

door1.jpg - Circled is the stopper itself. The pic is taken from outside the car looking in.

door2.jpg - Shows the door from the inside, the circle with the arrow pointing to it is where the bolt for the stopper is.

Ted

Attachments

·
That Others May Live
3,845 Posts
Thanks for the right up Ted. My drivers window was shaking like a banshee and my pass. side was letting a ton of air in last weekend on my trip down to DR.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tried this fix this weekend. So far so good - seemed to help. I just wanted to point out that if the door panel is off and you lower the window, it will jerk around as it's lowering. I thought I screwed something up, but when I put the door panel back on it didn't do it anymore. I wouldn't suggest lowering the window with the door panel off, only to be sure that you don't break any clips or anything like that.

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
Ted,

Fine with me. Give me a few days and I'll make a web page, give author credit to you and web design to me (and pics :)), and link to it on my Garage Page. I definitely just learned something new about my Stealth. In fact, I noticed the driver door window rattled a little over bumps, and wondered just today what the fix might be.

Thanks for the nice write-up.

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, this is an old one! :) Looks like somebody was searching on door/window rattles and found this.

PS: Should be safe to go up/down with the window without breaking anything...

Jeff- Sounds good!

Ted

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Jeff Lucius said:
Ted,

Fine with me. Give me a few days and I'll make a web page, give author credit to you and web design to me (and pics :)), and link to it on my Garage Page. I definitely just learned something new about my Stealth. In fact, I noticed the driver door window rattled a little over bumps, and wondered just today what the fix might be.

Thanks for the nice write-up.
Im going to do the same thing. Ill try and get my hands on a camera and take step by step pictures as I do it. Ill give credit to the author as a source of information though.

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts

·
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep! That is correct. :) (I've never been 'published' before. :p ).

Ted

1 - 19 of 19 Posts