Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

How To RPM Tachometer repair.

11K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ThatOneVr4 
#1 · (Edited)
Link to the post with original problem. High idle after boosting

Let's get on with the Repair.

You will need TWO...that is 2...25v 10uf Capacitors. I used Two 50v 10uf Capacitors. You can use any voltage as long as it's above 25 Volts. The originals are 25V 10uf.
You will need a soldering iron-Cheap ones work
You might need Flux- I use Amtech 559 any flux will work and most Solder has a flux core.

If you do not have any of the above tools you can take your cluster to a TV/Electronics repair shop and they can replace the two capacitors for you for very little. It's best to bring just the Tachometer only.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Step-Remove the TRIP reset pin. You really have to pull it hard. It might seem impossible to remove but it does remove!!!!!
Then push in tabs all round the instrument cluster. I started with the Clear plastic one first on the left of the picture, then I removed the black surround on the right.

2nd-You will need to remove all the screws that are highlighted in a red squares. Once removed the Tach can be removed. 3 screws in total.

3rd- You can lift the Tach out of the cluster once you removed all 5 screws. Should go from the pic below to the next pic.

4th step- Here is what your looking for underneath the Tach. There should be 2 blue Capacitors.
It's VERY VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSTALL THEM EXACTLY HOW YOU REMOVED THEM. One side is Positive and the other is Negative.

Here is the other one.

5th step= Desolder the old cap, here is the area you need to desolder.

Should look like this when removed

6th step-Solding in the new Capacitors! Note which way the leads are!

Before video

After video fixed

Any questions ask away! Thank you everyone for helping solve this issue. Hope this helps someone else!

Attachments

See less See more
3 10
#7 ·
Glad this tutorial is helpful. I wanted to make a video about the whole process but you can really screw up if you install the capacitors in the wrong direction, it was best to explain in pictures.

#8 ·
Tried this on the tachometer that came with my car and it did not work for me. Used 50v 10uf and made sure the polarity was correct.

Bought a different tachometer and it didn't work. So I replaced the capacitors on the 2nd tach. Still doesn't work.

I've replaced the PTU already.

Any other ideas anyone?

#9 ·
Hmm have you checked the wires for going to the PTU, you might have a break for the signal wire that goes to the PTU. It's odd the 2nd tach didn't work.

2nd place you can look is on the passenger side floor board, where the heat vent is at there is a box with a connector plugged into it, if it's unplugged that will stop the tach from working.

Reactions: Mr3KGTO
#12 ·
Thank you @lawdogg I wanted to make a video but I found using the pictures would be the best, only because of the capacitors need to be installed correctly :)