Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm not to clear on how to do it myself so I figured I would ask you guys. How should I go about swapping out fuel sending units? I've looked at a few diagrams and can't see how I am going to pull it out. I also cant find any previous posts on how to remove it :(. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry there, just wanted to know how to get the whole assembly out (mine cracked and needs replacing), looks like it is as simple as unhooking the line and taking the 6 bolts out and lifting it out.... sounds easy, but I'm sure getting through the 14 years of rust on the top will be fun :(.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So guys, I have run into another problem ! :rolleyes:
Turns out that that good ole' 14 years of rust has eaten up the old assembly top pretty bad and the 6nuts that I need to remove are so corroded there is just no way to get them off, even though they are kind of off now being so rusted I can pick them apart with a finger. What am I looking at doing here?? I dont know how they mount the assembly to the tank, otherwise I bet I could just break them all the way off and pry the old assembly out, but I dont know if that will even work? Need some help on this one guys :( .

Edit: read a few previous posts on the problem, looks like I can just snap off the studs and pull the assembly off, I also found some good posts on how to secure the new assembly without the studs.

·
Verified Eagle Scout
1,653 Posts
When i took mine out, the 17 year old rust lol, was bad enough the bolts powdered the edges and left a perfectly round nut on it! My preferred method is to take vice grips and clamp them onto whatever is left of the bolt. then either it shatters, or can be loosened with the vice grips. Then disconnecting the fuel lines can be a PITA as well... lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts