Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After an oil change or after replacing oil after major engine repair,
what is the best way to prime engine with oil so you don't produce much wear on engine components?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

·
Registered
94 Posts
I do not know how to link you to this thread but the thread is "priming turbos after oil cahange", the fourth (I think) reply gives you the following link to a device that will pump oil through your engine before you start it. http://www.pre-luber.com/ On older cars you could just pull the coil wire and crank the engine so it would not start for a minute then reinstall the coil wire but I personally would not do that on this car until I had talked to Mitsubishi service manager to make sure it could not somehow hurt the ecu or something else.

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
The way to do it without any special equipment (pre-luber, oil accumulator) is to disconnect the camshaft (or crankshaft, depending on year) angle sensor, the fuel pump (via a fuse), or the fuel injectors (not recommended; a pain) and crank the engine over. Whenever the crankshaft is turning the oil pump is pumping. If you turn it over for a few revoultions(probably no more than 10 seconds) oil will be primed to every engine part without applying the forces that the engine will experience during actual cylinder combustion with no oil at the bearings. After this, reconnect what you disconnected and fire it up.

I don't think this is really necessary unless you are using a new engine or something. The oil is not much more likely to drain during an oil change than when it did when you last shut it off. Your bearings will be oil-starved for a moment anyways if any significant time has passed since you last started it.

-Chris Wood

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
I believe you can disconnect it on the side of the timing belt cover. Look where the top rear timing belt cover meets the main timing cover. If you have a 94+ VR-4 there will be 2 connections here, if you have a 93 or below there will be one. At least this is what I remember being told, I ended up not doing it. You will need to reset the ECU after you do this cause it will throw the crank angle sensor code when you disconnect it.
-Good Luck!

·
will work for cash
655 Posts
if the engine was just rebuilt, i leave the plugs out and the injectors unhooked, cam sensor out,etc. then crank until you get good oil pressurre. then go ahead and throw the intake on it and plug, etc, and fire it up. thats the best way if your motor is already apart cause without plugs there is virtually no load at all on the rods and crank, and thats what you want

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.