Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been successful painting the back side of the sail panels? That piece with the venting that mates up with the top of the rear deck?

Mine are dull grey/black and I wanted to add some life back into them and the top portion under the spoiler on the deck.

Has anyone been able to spray them while they are still attached to the car? Removing them is a real chore.

Thanks!

·
Marshall Taylor
1,213 Posts
I believe 3SX had a write up on replacing the sail panels. IIRC you remove the rear seat. Pop the interior piece off in that area. I believe you have two nuts on the studs on the sail panel. Remove the nuts and the panel will come off. No need to remove the seatbelt. Maybe someone that has actually done the work can chime in. The write up i saw years ago seemed fairly simple.

Reactions: HouseSpecialGTO

·
Marshall Taylor
1,213 Posts
I just used the “Search Community” line and located a thread by “curmston” dated Feb.01, 2012. He provided a detailed write up on this subject: “How to install 99 sails”.When painting a car anything you can take off: mirrors, door handle, etc. will provider the best end result.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,071 Posts

Bob. ;)

·
CAD/DAO/CNC
1,807 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
My son and I tried painting the trim both ways, masking vs. removal. Removal is a pain. Getting the side panel out is a decent amount of effort but the real downside is the gasketing seal on the edges got messed up. We masked the other side and painted. It was much faster as expected and the visible paint coverage difference was minimal. Also, there were obviously no issues with the seals.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone been successful painting the back side of the sail panels? That piece with the venting that mates up with the top of the rear deck?

Mine are dull grey/black and I wanted to add some life back into them and the top portion under the spoiler on the deck.

Has anyone been able to spray them while they are still attached to the car? Removing them is a real chore.

Thanks!
When I had the car painted they just painted the sail panels and the molding on the door. A product that works great is cerakote. You can order it on eBay Amazon or Walmart. Just make sure to mask. Area around windows as the cerakote is hard to get off. It works great project Farm has a video on YouTube

·
Registered
18 Posts

Thanks!

Here is the link to the youtube video on trim restorer. I have used it on my Nissan truck and Chrysler 300 It will darken and restore trim. When i used it on my 300. I did the panels between the doors the front pillar and worked great just remember to mask off glass or any where you don't wnat it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts