Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Electrical Whiz
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you hook up remote start on a manual 95 sl? since you need to press the clutch in before starting the car, how do you disable that or bypass it for the remote start?

·
Registered
387 Posts
You sure you wanna do that?

Here's a little story from one of my friends that put a remote start on his 5spd Eclipse. He is a MECP certified installer.

One day I left the car in 1st, and the ebrake up. The sensor on the stick malfunctioned and when I remote started my car it started! Rolled forward a few feet, drover over a rail-road parking tie, ran over a fence, and dropped down a 6ft drop nose first! Only caused about $1000 of damage, but I removed the remote start right away!

The e-brake isn't powerful enough to stop your car from rolling while starting! If you want to test it, then unplug the plug right above your clutch, then try to start the car in gear with the emergency brake up and your foot off the clutch. It will lunge forward and keep going until you stop cranking!

I would never install one on a stick again, no matter what kind of safety features it has! Even if the manufacturer says it is safe!

It is bad enough to have your car get hurt from it.... but what would happen if one day it took off and drove a person over? You would be in some trouble!
Might wanna think about that before you install. I'd love to have one on my ride, but I ain't feeling the whole 6 foot drop thing

·
Registered
322 Posts
goes without saying that you have to be careful when you install remote start on a manual. the best thing to do would be to put a sensor on the shifter (below the center console) that would hook up to the clutch switch wire so that the car can only be started when the clutch is depressed or when it's in neutral. if you're really paranoid, install two neutral sensors, but if you installed it right, the chances of it failing are minute.
next, set the max crank time to the minimum it takes to start your car (minimum you can set it on aladdin 2000 is 2 seconds) so that if somehow you do remote start it in gear, it will only go so far before it stops.
lastly, get used to leaving your car in neutral and checking it every time you get out.

also, if you get the aladdin 2000 alarm/remote-start, and configure it for MT, it would be pretty much impossible to remote start it in gear. the way it works is you have to take the key out while the driver's door is still shut with your foot off the brake, it will keep the engine running (hence ensuring that it's in neutral), you step out, close all the doors, press ARM on the remote, it locks everything up and turns off the engine. If you open a door or disarm, it won't let you remote start it.
The only two ways you could remote start in gear is if you left the windows open, and reached in and put it gear without setting off the shock sensor. Else you'd have lock yourself in, put it in gear, and then remote start it from the inside.

that being said, aladdin's safety features can be annoying. I put a switch that turns them (the safety features) on or off. Normally I keep them on, but if for some reason I don't follow the procedure, I turn them off and double check that I left in neutral. I gotta put a neutral sensor in though.

As for your actual question: the easiest thing to do is to simply unplug the clutch sensor. Else you could figure out which of the two wires needs to be activated/grounded and use start-assist if you remote start has one. I just unplugged it.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
aladdin a2000, it has fail-safe for manuals

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
get the avengaurd four with intella start. It is the best alarm/remote start on the market. It is made by clifford. I have installed a bunch of them and they work great.

·
Banned
12,733 Posts
only problem with clifford is that clifford is no more, they were bought out by DEI, it is difficult to get parts now such as replacement remotes or get repairs.

As far as remote starters on Manuals, Astroflex used to make one that used infared sensors to detect when the car was in neutral but they don't have any information on website regarding that product which leads me to believe that it may have been discontinued. All remote starts do have safety shut down inputs that can be wired in to the neutral safety switch wire, but the problem is that anything electronic can fail, and in this case if a sensor or wire fails to do what its supposed to do, serious damage to your car can result. Most shops will refuse to install a remote start on a manual car just due to the fact that there is a huge liability, not because that they cannot do it. So proceed at your own risk, and if you do, try to get the products that offer the most safety features and are designed for manual transmissions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I dont think there is any problems getting parts for cliffords, the only parts that I know of are older avital (sp?) systems. If you are serious about your security system there in no comparision with a G-4 and a astroflex. The G-4 is going to be replaced next year with a updated system and the chances are good that the stick shift option is going away. Another option is a clifford solaris, its also compatable with a stick shift. The only downside to real cliffords is they are somwhat confusing to learn all remote functions and not for the average installer to put in correctly.

·
Registered
322 Posts
guys, it'd be easy as pie to make an IR neutral sensor that hooks up to the clutch switch so that car won't start unless either the clutch is pushed in or it's in neutral. it would be almost completely failsafe, too.
I looked at the shifter a few days back, and it seems you'd have to drill the support to mount a straight IR emitter/detector (like the kind you might see on garage doors). but, there's plenty of empty space on the driver's side of the shifter under the console, so you could easily put in a small bracket with the emitter and detector positioned such that the beam from the emitter hits the detector only when the shifter is dead center (optical mice work like this). because the emitter and detector are angled, and provided the beam is narrow enough, nothing but the shift stick would result in the detector activating.
the detector would be connected to the coil of a N.C. SPST relay. when the detector activates, it opens the relay allowing the engine to start. if the detector doesn't see the light from the emitter (shifter not in neutral), the relay closes, making it necessary to push in the clutch to start the engine.

simple, failsafe - what else do you need? so just get any remote start system alarm and make one of these babies ($5-10 in parts) and you're set.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
the a-2000 works like this.Once you stop the car you remove the key. The car stays running and you exit the vehicle. The brain sees the door open and close. Now arm the car and the doors lock and the car stops. The brain has seen the vehicle as running after exit and allows you to remote start. stalling or reentering the vehicle after shutdown will trigger the brain the car may have been put in gear and you must restart and go through the whole sequence again in order to remote start. I have to start it in gear and can't find a way

·
Registered
2,637 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,637 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
cool start button

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
What kind of range does the a-2000 have?

Also, the Astrostart/Astroflex do not have remote starters (anymore) that operate with a manual trans. I had emailed the companies website and got a response back that they DO NOT ADVICE or make a starter for a manual. I posted the reply about a week ago in another thread on this topic.

My mother has a AstroStart and it has a great range, very reliable. I can be a few blocks away, car in a ramp, or 6 floors up in a motel with the car barely visible in the lot and it starts.

I wouldn't want anything even remotely close (100ft) to what I get with my factory remote entry (need to be 2 ft from car for it to work)... my arms work with the key just as well. ;)

·
23 year old VR4
1,888 Posts
get the avengaurd four with intella start. It is the best alarm/remote start on the market. It is made by clifford. I have installed a bunch of them and they work great.
I have a clifford bullet 4 which is a G-4 and it has the intella start option. I am wondering what it takes to hook that up, if it can be done on my 5sp. I have the installation manual.

Also, my master remote is broken and the biggest clifford dealer in st. louis isn't even sure if he can get a new one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts