Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Didnt find a whole lot of write ups on how to install the 99 sail panels so I thought I would share how i went about installing mine.

1. First remove the plastic door sills that cover up the clips for the carpet (not sure the actual name for them but i'll post a pic of what im talking about soon)

2. Next, remove the large bolt connecting the seatbelt to the rear quarter panel

3. Then remove the rear seats. the bottem part of the seats comes up by two little levers underneath that you pull out. The back part of the seats are removed by 3 14mm bolts i believe (might be wrong on the size).

4. Next remove the screw underneath the top of the rear seatbelt. The srew is hiding underneath the seatbelt, you will see it if you push the seatbelt out of the way. (Again ill post pictures).

5. Once that is off you must remove all of the screws for the rear quarter panel. There should be 3 or 4 behind the rear seat, one at the end of the quarter panel near the trunk area, one underneath where the bottem of the rear seat would be, one benind the seatbelt cover (front seatbelt), and 2 underneath the rear seat belt cover. (I think thats all the bolts, atleast all that my car had lol). then remove the quarter panel.

6. Next, there are a few more clips holding the quarter panel in. With a gentle tug pull the quarter panel off from the bottem up. The clips are near the door sill so this is where you should pull it off from.

7. Next is the plastic window pillar (not sure the proper name for this either). I broke pretty much all of the clips off of this one so be warned!
There is a screw that should be covered by a round plastic clip located where the back part of the headliner meets the rear window. Remove the screw and plastic cap.

8. Next there are 3 small pushclips at the bottem of the plastic pillar. Push the center of the clip in with a thin screwdriver or you can even use your keys for this. Just something thats small enough to push the clip in.

9. once those 3 clips are out i believe the only thing left holding it on are the clips. Now be gentle pulling this off as i mangaged to break about every single clip lol. Good news is even though i broke all of the clips and didnt bother fixing it, the pilliar went back on fine and doesnt really look like it was taken off. But i would advise just being gentle and wiggling it little by little. Possibly try using a screwdriver to pry inbetween the panel.

10. Once the panel is off you now have access to the bolts that hold on the sail panel. all sail panels except for 99 sails are 2 pieces. One piece being the black part and one piece being the painted part. These are held on by 5 8mm bolts. If i remember correctly there were 3 at the bottem and two at the top. 2 or 3 are easily seen and obvious, the other ones are hiding in cut out holes

those are two of the bolts. the rest are hidden in those holes you see to the bottem right (the bigger hole)

11. After you remove the nuts, there is a screw on the outside of the car underneath that strip above the door window. Now I never figured out how to actually remove that piece so what i did was put a piece of cloth around a flat head screw driver and pry it inbetween the roof and that plastic piece. You can apply a moderate amount of pressure to this and you will see the screw. I was able to pry the strip up just enough to fit another screw driver in there and remove the screw.
(If your doing it this way i highly advise you wrap the screwdriver in a cloth or soft material to avoid scratching the paint.) Also the plastic strips go right back into place after prying them. It doesnt look like it has been messed with.

the screw is right underneath where i have the screwdriver (already out at this point though)

12. Once that screw is out your old sail panels will come off. The 99 sails only have two bolts and the rest are clips. I didnt get mine to sit flush at first so i had to remove the top clip from the 99 sail. If you have to do this, the clip just slides right out.

13. Now just install the new sails the same way you removed the old one and reverse the whole process for putting the sail panel on. Then go over to the other side and repeat the same process.

I'll get some pictures up and make the directions a little more clear

Heres what it looks like before:

and after...

Also got the vr4 badges coming in the mail so the sail panels don't look so plain. I'll post pictures of that once i get them

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Thanks mate, im not installing those but i plan to take the fake windows to get them an overhaul.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, im not installing those but i plan to take the fake windows to get them an overhaul.
np man, I'll have a few more pictures up tomarrow or somthing to make things a little more clear. I'm not the best at giving instructions lol

·
3SWiki.org
9,720 Posts
Nice write-up! Interested in seeing the photos once you have them available.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm going to be doing this as well. My "twin turbo" sails show their age. Were they painted when you bought them?

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to be doing this as well. My "twin turbo" sails show their age. Were they painted when you bought them?
yes they were, i got lucky a guy on the forum had a pair of brand new white ones still in the bags. Got them for 160 shipped ;)

·
Lawn Ornament Since '08
2,670 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I'm going to have to do this just becuse like someone else said. My "twin turbo" sails look like shit. How long did it take you?

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for posting this. I'm going to have to do this just becuse like someone else said. My "twin turbo" sails look like shit. How long did it take you?
not long. Id say about an hour and a half to do both sides. It seems like a lot more work then it really is. Pretty much your just taking out the back seats, rear quarter panel, window pillar and then you can take off the sail panels. Just take your time and don't force anything that might feel stuck until u make sure u have all the screws out

·
Lawn Ornament Since '08
2,670 Posts
Ya... That last part, if you could see all the bolts I've broken lol. Thank God never in an important place though.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very nice write up! Now replace that window trim and fix the hail damage...
oh don't worry thats on my to do list. First i gotta get her running right though :/ my idle got all screwy recently and its hesitating under load

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Great write up. Do you have the part number for the vr4 badging? I also have pearl white. So they come painted oem color white? Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts