Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I love her▼
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally getting around to making this thread. This is for all us 1G and 2G guys with customized harnesses running a 1G TT ECU. With the 1G TT ECU in our cars, our fans will not come on without the aid of a fan controller and the most popular choice is a Derale Fan controller.

The instructions for the unit are pretty straight forward but the problem arises with "which wires on the fans do I tap into and what do I do with them afterwards?" Hopefully this mini write-up will give you some answers.

Follow the Derale Fan Controller instructions, making sure to hook up the unit as stated. I have attached a copy of the Instructions.

Here is a picture diagram showing how to hook the fans up to the Derale control unit:

On the Driver's side fan, take the two positive leads coming from the center of the fan (blue wires) and wire them together to the blue wire (secondary fan wire) on the Derale controller. Then take the two negatives and ground them to the chassis.

On the Passenger's side fan, take the positive lead coming from the center of the fan and connect it to the orange wire from the derale unit. Then take the negative and ground that to the chassis.

Then follow the directions for setting the temperature on the derale unit and now both fans should come on at the same time. I haven't quite figured out the AC clutch wire yet but I am sure that it is pretty straight forward as well.

Well that should do it. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Quit while you're ahea
7,917 Posts
OMFG :muahaha: :eek: :headbang: :B :lol: :lol2: :lol3: :thumbsup:

you are not going to believe this but I am installing mine today and I signed on to get some information LMFAO! GOOD TIMING MY BROTHER!

rep for you!

·
Premium Member
4,558 Posts
CRAP didnt know I needed this and I am planning on finishing my conversion tomarrow. Anyone have a link to the exact one I need?...there are a few models. Can you only buy it online?

·
LurCh
657 Posts
just out of curiosity, why do we need this for the conversion? does the tt- ecu not control the fan, or are we cutting a wire that is necessary? what are we doing different or are we missing that this doesn't work factory style?

·
Quit while you're ahea
7,917 Posts

·
I'm a dork.
1,150 Posts
anyone have any good solutions of where to tap into for the ac clutch switch and ignition switch? let me know. thanks!

j

·
Registered
277 Posts
Speaking of spun bearing, I recently bought a 92 3000 and the engine (which is currently pulled), I'm told, has a spun bearing. Is this something I can fix myself or will I need to take it somewhere?

·
Premium Member
4,920 Posts
A few people have complained that their fans have crapped out on them. Our fans pull 40 amps right? The Derale fan controllers are made to handle 25 amps at the most. The instructions say if your system pulls more than that to use 2 fan controllers. Think that may be the cause of the failures?

·
Registered
161 Posts
A few people have complained that their fans have crapped out on them. Our fans pull 40 amps right? The Derale fan controllers are made to handle 25 amps at the most. The instructions say if your system pulls more than that to use 2 fan controllers. Think that may be the cause of the failures?
is this right? do we need 2 fan controllers? or one?

·
Creator of weird stuff...
4,117 Posts
You can run the Derale to I higher rated relay to control the extra amperage. I intend on running double relays just to handle the amperage as I figured the Derale couldn't handle the stock fans.

·
Quit while you're ahea
7,917 Posts
I have been running just one fan but I don't run in traffic with the AC on. I plan on getting another one though.

edit: oh yeah derale has changed the way these wire up so don't go by the map on the 1st page.

·
4,117 Posts
I have the A/C deleted on mine so I will be running both fans. I'll have to wire in high amperage relays in order to run both fans.

It's funny that on Jegs site it states " 30/40 Amp heavy-duty relay" but "Maximum capacity: 25 Amps" so what is limiting it to 25 amps? The wiring?

·
Quit while you're ahea
7,917 Posts
I have the A/C deleted on mine so I will be running both fans. I'll have to wire in high amperage relays in order to run both fans.

It's funny that on Jegs site it states " 30/40 Amp heavy-duty relay" but "Maximum capacity: 25 Amps" so what is limiting it to 25 amps? The wiring?
hmmm, I don't know.....the fuse?

·
Premium Member
4,920 Posts
I have been running just one fan but I don't run in traffic with the AC on. I plan on getting another one though.

edit: oh yeah derale has changed the way these wire up so don't go by the map on the 1st page.

:stupid: I don't get in traffic much either though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
anyone know where i can get the controllers in canada? every site ive been to will not let me order them because they dont accept payments from non-US residents...

·
4,117 Posts
Jegs.com sells them and I'm sure they ship to Canada.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts