Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
always under construction
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gonna race a 2000 prelude on mon 12th. I wanna know what i have to do to get the best launch off the line. Can anyone help me?? I only have a base stealth (SOHC) bone stock.
Please Help!!!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Well, from my knowledge, here's how: lower the tire pressure to about 27-29psi, racing tires will also help a launch. A good launch takes quite a bit of practice, so find a place to practice were there is NO traffic around. Basicly, rev the engine to about 2k-3k, let off the clutch quik, and floor the gas. You'll have to practice, but you want the tires to give maybe 1 or 2 chirps, but not spin out, and not bog your engine. If you have to, it's better to bog your engine and run, then spin your tires and run. Just practice this technique until you feel confindent about it. You might search through other post's, I know there is a few fairly lengthy ones about launching fwd cars. good luck!

·
Detroit RiceCop
659 Posts
Well, I'm assuming this is a preplanned event against a friend so on Monday, lower your front tire pressure a bit. This will give you more traction. Also, remove your spare tire, subwoofers, and any girlfriends or sisters that add weight, in fact, let them ride in the Prelude. Clean your air filter and, if you can, ride on a low tank of gas and don't eat anything before the race. Offer the other dude two whoppers on you before the race. Go pee and take a dump if possible. Ok, now for the race...

Practice launching before the event. You will sqeak the tires a bit if you want to get a fast launch. Only a little sqeaking though. Once you're off, you want to get your RPMs to like 5k in first gear and then quick-shift to second while flooring as soon as the gear changes and you'll get another tire sqeak in second if you have a strong clutch. Take the RPMS up to 4500 to 5000 and then drop to third. Remember that you have the most torque (185lbs) at 4000RPMs so just below that is where you want to land your upcoming gears so that your RPMs stay up when the clutch is released.

·
always under construction
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys
I will try it out and tell you what i come out with
Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts