Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have always owned an SL, I have had two and I loved them. I did not care about the lack of power because the car still had some giddy-up for daily driving and I love the sound of an NA... Anyways, one day my best friend (who also has only ever owned SL's) got into an accident in his beautiful 93 SL. She was totaled and he used the insurance money to buy a $3000 VR4 that had seen some better days. However it had 87,000 miles, ran and drive and had several important mechanical items replaced so it was a good deal. This was around a year and a half ago and my friend still daily's his VR4.

Shortly after my friend got his VR4 on the road we began doing some races and I was really blown away by the dramatic difference in power that his car had. I was ready for a VR4. I began sifting through the thousands of SOHC 3k's on Facebook.
and after months of searching for the car of my dreams I began to feel that my friend had caught a steal and that I would have to save up for a lot longer to get my VR4. One day while browsing Facebook I came across a part out of a 1991 VR4 that had a lien and a spun bearing. I asked if i could come check out the car and see if i could get any parts for my SL, little did I know that I would be leaving in a tow truck with a broken VR4, $1500 out of my bank account and my SL traded away. I first tackled the lien, I contacted the previous owner and he was nice enough to get the lien paid off for me and I was issued a new title at the DMV. Then the motor was the next issue, the VR4 sat for a little while I stocked up parts. I bought all new rotors, brakes, new motor mounts, gasket set, apexii AFCR, SAFC2, walboro 255, 450cc injectors and some other missing miscellaneous parts that I got from the junkyard. Next I bought a 96 SL motor from a local 3000gt enthusiast who also helped me swap everything over.

Next it was time to get dirty. We pulled both motors and swapped all the parts from the turbo block to the NA block, this included the:
upper & lower intake manifolds
oil filter housing
turbo manifolds
turbos
coolant neck
injectors
swapped the 91 crank sensor to the NA heads because i did not have head gaskets and a limited time to swap the motors.

then we tapped in the oem oil return lines to the NA oil pan because the turbo pan does not line up.

next we swapped the flywheel, clutch etc and bolted up the tranny and dropped her in. reconnected all the stock wiring. Was in and out in 3 days. put 1000 miles on her for now running off the wastegate until I get it tuned in with e85 and the 450cc injectors.

Total money spent: $2776
registration & insurance: $258
Rotors: $120
Brakes: $60
Motor Mounts: $88
AFCR SAFC2, walboro 255, 450cc inj: $262 (bought from a member of a 3000gt group on Facebook, this was a good deal so expect to pay up to $500 for all these parts. the only thing i would get new is the pump)
gasket set: $88
motor: $400
VR4: $1500
driving the car of your dreams: priceless

So the moral of the story is if you're a broke kid like me and you really want a 3000gt
Just stay patient and wait for a deal to arrive, play it smart and take a risk and block out all the haters !! Happy swapping

Pics of when we got the SL motor out of the parts car.
88019632_10158270872510166_3402261122370240512_n.jpg
88014051_10158270872630166_1225091837241327616_n.jpg

checked the bearings real quick just to be sure and they're tight as hell!
Image-1.jpg
Image-3.jpg
Image-1 (2).jpg

Vid of the first startup
vid of the apexi tuners
vid of the first pull 0~75 with some horrible shifting on wastegate pressure

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If I told you I bought a ferrari for $5,000 would you want to see pics of it? ;-)

·
Registered
561 Posts
I mean most VR4s go for greater than $3000. I think maybe you meant to use a less than sign which is "<". ;)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I was trying to get you to post pictures of this car, its the internet man! I want pictures!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts