Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Creator of weird stuff...
4,114 Posts
Holy thread ressurection batman!
This just proves the search feature works!

If your getting the whirling sound then the pump should be working. Try hotwiring it to the battery with it in the tank and see if the car fires up. If not then it sounds like your MFI relay is bad or having issues.

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
I just found out my fp is not getting power. I cranked it for 3 minutes (with rest every 6-8 seconds per crank) and I pulled the fuel line, and the line is dry...I wouldn't expect that if I had been cranking that long.

I tested the fuel pump, and the fuel pump does work.

Kibwe, can you elaborate on this sentence: As for the alarm I would try any of the disable areas by turning the key in any of the closed doors or trunk to disarm the system then you can disable.

How does the antitheft work? Does it cut power to the fuel pump?
I was thinking the alarm was still active thus preventing the engine from running.

You can disarm the factoru alarm by turning the key in the drivers door or trunk.

But sounds like fuel is your problem, as suggested hotwire with a kit from ips and give it another go.

·
USMC
5,882 Posts
Since we are on the subject, who wants to help me howire this fuel pump?:D

Also, drgonzo...which fuel pump relay are you referring to being "toast"? The MFI or the square relay with the rubber cover that is next to the fuse box?

Thanks,
TP

Thanks, y'all for all of your help. It's really helping.

·
4,114 Posts
^ See last post. We all seem to be posting at the exact same time. LOL :)

·
USMC
5,882 Posts
This just proves the search feature works!

If your getting the whirling sound then the pump should be working. Try hotwiring it to the battery with it in the tank and see if the car fires up. If not then it sounds like your MFI relay is bad or having issues.
Wait, I was under the impression that hotwiring the fp will ignore the probelms of a bad MFI?

From your sentence, if it doesn't fire up, then my MFI is bad or having issues. I thought hotwiring it would bypass the MFI?

Thanks,
TP

·
4,114 Posts
Hotwire it as in run a power line from the battery to the pos+ terminal on the fuel pump temporarily.

The hotwire kits like what IPS sells use the signal from the old power wire "coming from the MFI" to trigger the relay powering the fuel pump directly from the battery at 14+ Volts.

Just wire the pump to the battery and see if you can start the car and it will run. This is just to test to see if it is an issue with the MFI or the fuel pump actually not pumping.

Guess I should have used the word ward-wire instead! :)

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
If you hotwire the fp goes offf with the ignition

If you hardwire the fp goes of when you disconnect it from the battery.

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
Ahh, gotcha..that's right..hot wire and hard wire..

I found this:

Stealth 316 - Fuel Pump Hot Wire

If I am not getting power now, that should give my fp the power it needs right?

Once this problem is fixed, watch out for another thread from the dead..lol.
hardwire the FP

and see if it is working.

If it works by hardwiring it the stock wiring and relay is the reason it won't work under normal conditions because the pump itself is fine, it just isn't getting power.

So once that is identified as the problem you can go about testing relays and hotwiring your car.

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
yep thats a hardwire

so somewhere in the stock setup is the problem and reason you are not getting fuel.

All that aside if you were cranking it for that long you should be able to see oil at the valves.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts