Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed an Aux input to the mitsu stock CD Changer/Stereo in the Stealth last night and thought I'd share. I know there are pre-made wire's/kits out there, but in case you want to do it yourself this might help. Sorry if it's a bit crude, it's my first how to :)

Applies to:
CD Changer/Head using the 13P connector to external changer.

Function:
Add Aux Input while retaining stock functionality.

Tools Required:
Solder gun or equivalent
Heat shrink or other insulation
Philips screwdriver to remove stereo
Wire strippers, (razorblade made the tiny wires easier)

Common Sense stuff:
As always - Disconnect battery
These wires are tiny and easy to break and short, be careful to properly solder and insulate everything!

This is my current setup. The cable I used was the 13p(Headunit side) to 20p (Changer side) cable.
(found this pic on 3si, but thats my exact setup)

The diagram below illustrates the 13P connector used on various mitsu units. Identify if your unit has such a connector.

To splice into the input of the CD changer you must pull back the insulation on the 13P cable between the headunit and changer and connect a standard 3.5mm cable to the audio channel wires.

The wires are encased in (2) grey cables separate from the others within the main sheath. Within each grey cable is a ground mesh surrounding a red or white wire.You can simply use snap in splicers after you pull back the mesh, or just strip/cut and solder or whatever you find easier. Cutting the wires as pictured is not required. Reconnect the ground meshes and insulate. Effectively you want to have the stock wires connected as normal and in addition have the red, white, and ground from the 3.5mm aux wire connected to the corresponding wires within the stock 13P cable.

In the end we have tapped into the audio signal leading from the CD changer to the main unit. To enable audio playback burn a blank CD and play it, then just connect to you're device and play. Playing the blank CD is required to activate the audio feed from the changer and provides silence from the player as opposed to double signals. The stock player/changer will still function normally once your portable device is unhooked.

If I missed anything or you have any questions I'll try to fill in the gaps, like I said this is my first how to and very crude.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Dude, thanks!

I've been wanting an aux for some time - even tried to swap a 95/96 unit into my 97. I think the extra unit I got from ebay was junk since aux didn't work and the lamp seems to be going out.

·
Super Moderator
4,475 Posts
Nice picture... It was taken in June of 05 for the amp install thread. :) It's actually a setup I first bought from a 03 Diamante VRX. Before the spyder switches were installed for the spoiler control. See pic.

Anyway .... GREAT write up on how to trick the HU and sneak in tunes from another device. It's an easy mod... Go figure...The audio inputs actually remained the same on three different oem radio/changer systems. But the 95/96 changers don't work with the 97 plus radios. The Peripheral MITPIL (no longer made) has rca and a wire you would ground to activate the rca inputs. It would most likely work too because the 97-99 changer did work with the 2001 plus radios. That would save a din space too because the changer would not be needed.

There's an iphone/pod plug that pulls the same audio connections without the headphone jack. Adds charging capability too. I've looked into the 2004-7 radios of this type and they don't have direct support for the adaptor. But the audio output connections are there for the taking.

My main issue with these systems in the first place was the inability to play mp3's, and in early 09 I went to the double din Outlander infinity radio/6 disc changer that can play mp3's. BUT it would be nice to stream a football game or... on the system via an iphone :) That outlander radio has a changer type input in it too. Just don't have the time to follow up on it now.

But an ab switch on the amp on any of these systems would do. This could be done to the factory amp too just leave the radio off when the aux input is used and give the factory amp it's turn on voltage. The same goes for an aftermarket system.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice picture... It was taken in June of 05 for the amp install thread. :) It's actually a setup I first bought from a 03 Diamante VRX. Before the spyder switches were installed for the spoiler control. See pic.

Anyway .... GREAT write up on how to trick the HU and sneak in tunes from another device. It's an easy mod... Go figure...The audio inputs actually remained the same on three different oem radio/changer systems. But the 95/96 changers don't work with the 97 plus radios. The Peripheral MITPIL (no longer made) has rca and a wire you would ground to activate the rca inputs. It would most likely work too because the 97-99 changer did work with the 2001 plus radios. That would save a din space too because the changer would not be needed.

There's an iphone/pod plug that pulls the same audio connections without the headphone jack. Adds charging capability too. I've looked into the 2004-7 radios of this type and they don't have direct support for the adaptor. But the audio output connections are there for the taking.

My main issue with these systems in the first place was the inability to play mp3's, and in early 09 I went to the double din Outlander infinity radio/6 disc changer that can play mp3's. BUT it would be nice to stream a football game or... on the system via an iphone :) That outlander radio has a changer type input in it too. Just don't have the time to follow up on it now.

But an ab switch on the amp on any of these systems would do. This could be done to the factory amp too just leave the radio off when the aux input is used and give the factory amp it's turn on voltage. The same goes for an aftermarket system.
It was the best picture I could find! Had to borrow it. lol.
My Headunit is from a newer Evo and the Changer is from a Montero. Good to know they are compatible between the years, makes it very easy. I'm sure there are lots more potential combinations and possiblilties here, I didn't research any farther once I got the input working on mine. Would be nice to do it directly without the Changer being connected.

·
Super Moderator
4,475 Posts
The Peripheral MITPIL grounds a wire to use the aux inputs. I'm thinking it works thru all the compatible systems from 97 and up. So that could eliminate the changers. But the the Peripheral MITPIL needs a power connection from the 97-99 changer plug. No big issue I think it's the same plug for the steering remote connections but the pin positions / wires aren't correct.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Know this is an old thread but I thought I would add this. I too installed the 2006 Outlander head unit works great. I've ordered the iPhone/iPod/iPad kit however I don't think it provides power for charge there are easy ways around that such as a pass through 30 pin connector with mini USB to add power or other.

Anyway I've been look at this

Dension Gateway Lite | USB Car Adapter | iPhone/iPod Car Multimedia Adapter | iPhone Headphone Adapter

They say it works with any deck that has CD changer control. But they don't have Mitsubishi listed. If they are using a standard then would seem all we need to know is the what their twelve wires are. These work on many different cars so the feeds, must be some what common. If so then we would have blue tooth, ability to read from pen drive, hard drive, iPhone/pod/pad and hands free.

Wish I knew more about how this all worked, have not seen Dave57 for a while

·
Super Moderator
4,475 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Darn I was looking on ebay bought one earlier today new for $159 :( will see if it works. They list the 2006 Outlander as compatible. Oh well too late to save money.

·
Super Moderator
4,475 Posts
Post up on the results. The only issue I see is needing a real Apple lightning adaptor But...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Got it installed works perfectly with my nano, 3G, 3GS, and iPhone 4S. I'm debating a female 30 pin to female USB flush mount then connector won't be Issue. I'll start a new thread and post scans of the paper work that came with it. from the 2006 outlander heady it all switches are to be set to on where as before only two. One can be set to off depending on how you want to browse the songs. Titles don't display on the uh at least I have not figured it ou. But the sound is clean no noise.

Also Dave I got the montero amp, and converted the 2006 outlander button lights to red using silicon boots from mcmaster.

I'm also still considering the other Bluetooth unit found a dealer. I'll have to figure out the harshness my self though.

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
Am I understanding this writeup correctly? This will allow me to keep my stock mitsu changer and connect it to an aftermarket HU via the AUX input? If so, how exactly do you control the changer?

·
Drives a 1997 VR4.
1,573 Posts
Sorry to back an old dead thread.
I was curious to know if you can use an AUX to din cable like this one picured and get an audio signal out of your phone/ipod/mp3 player.

I don't feel comfortable slicing up the stock din cable.

Also, by doing your method described above, did you notice any white noise if no music was playing?
For instance, using the 94-96 headunit with an AUX port, if I crank up the equalizer's 10K slider to max, I get background hiss; It's even noticeable at half way up.

Technology has advanced so much today, is there an easier way to add an AUX port to our car besides swapping head units or changing the system entirely?

·
Money pit owner.
2,599 Posts
subbing to this for updates.

·
Drives a 1997 VR4.
1,573 Posts
Alternatively, can u have a female end with a 20pin-to-aux on the CD changer side hooked up to your phone/mp3 player? Will this work?

·
Super Moderator
4,475 Posts
LOL in the old days we bought these things and tried them them posted...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am weighing options to introduce AUX input to the Infinity system on my 97 VR4. I would love to use the CD Changer DIN to retain the volume control on the deck and wheel. Routing directly to the amp seems like a bad idea to me since it would introduce crosstalk between input devices (one could use a summing circuit with an op amp to do that correctly, but still no volume control from deck). On a previous GT, I tried to use the peripheral MITPIL device to leverage a line in to the DIN. It did not work and I ended up returning it (the stock unit would randomly not detect a changer). I found this which is similar AUX cable input car stereo kit Mitsubishi 3000GT 1998 1999. Does anyone have experience with this unit? Does it actually work or is it a scam?

Alternatively, I am looking for a wiring diagram for the CD changer DIN connector so I can build a solution to add aux input without having to play a blank CD as is mentioned here. Anybody know where to find this?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I decided to fabricate my own device to add an AUX port; rough sketch attached. The idea is to drive some relays to switch between the stereo and the line-in via the 12v turn on signal coming out of the stock deck. This unit will preserve the discrete front/back audio channels of the deck and split the stereo signal of the aux across front/back when switched. I'll put a switch on the unit as well to turn off the system completely when both the deck and aux line is disconnected. The downside is that the aux component will need to supply volume control and will not be operated from the steering wheel. A future revision may look at using an arduino to read the steering wheel control signals to drive a bluetooth/usb connection to a connected phone. Not sure if that is practical, I have done zero digging on how the steering control signals work yet. Anybody ever look into that?

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts