Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Grandpa
3,636 Posts
Top right corner of your screen....search feature.

There are tons of threads in the archives for you to check out.

It won't be cheap, let's put it that way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i dont no the exact number but i can guess between $12-15000.00. you are talking a complete rebuild with forged everything. large turbos and intercoolers with all the fuel and computer goodies, and a weight reduction on the car. the vr4s are heavy which really holds them back. it is much easier to make a mid to low 12sec car..

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
With a good driver you are looking at around ~$20,000.

Matt Monnet ran his 10 sec passes on a STOCK bottom end. Go to www.dynamicracing.com for more info on what mods Matt on his car during his 10 sec pass.

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
If you want to break into the 10's, then yes it's going to cost a good bit of money. But, running low-mid 11's is not that difficult, and certainly not that expensive now that later this month we will be able to run TD05 turbos with our stock manifolds (thanks Just-Performance!) Minimum level of mods you'll need:

Boost controller
Downpipe
Cat-back
Fuel controller and minimum 550cc injectors
Upgraded fuel pump
Intake
Larger turbos, 14b's... (I think you can run low 11's if not high 10's with these, Joe G. hit high ten's with equivalent 15g's and a small shot of NOS)
Upgraded clutch

Holding that much power too will probably cause your 1st gen output shaft to snap too, so eventually look at spending money for a Kormex tranny upgrade.

And then to give you an edge, there's lightweight flywheels, carbon fiber driveshafts, underdrive pulleys, lighter wheels, cam gears, upgraded intercoolers, etc.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
All depends on how you want to run those times. I think Jack T. probably hit 10's cheaper than anybody else has....but tuning and driving's key to saving tons of money.
I'd say you could do it for about 10k if your reallllly thrifty and McGyver (sp?) like. About 20k would make it alot more comfortably.
But yeah. Search! ;)

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
TD05 turbos are turbos that are on the DSM cars (eclipse, talon, laser.) They are single turbo cars, but that one turbo is bigger than just one of ours. Our manifolds have a weird 3 bolt flange that doesn't bolt up to a TD05 unless modifications are made. Just-Performance has been working on this project for almost a year and finally completed it (thank god too, since that means I won't have to do it now! :D ) So anyway, the TD05 14b turbo (which is the stock turbo on the 89-94 DSM 5 spd cars) is cheap, easy to rebuild, and is about one and a half times the size of one of ours in terms of air flow. Basically, if you run two of these, it would be the same as having 3 stock 9b turbos. Did I mention they were cheap as hell too?

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
Oops, change what I said above earlier today, I said Joe G, I meant Jack T. ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
how cheap is cheap as "hell" also how much would it cost to rebuild them. mid-low 11 is that with a great driver? and what about the 15g turbos.

·
just some guy.
2,573 Posts
HOLY CRAP 20K!!!!! you must be adding in instal prices on everything :-D. it's hard to run a 10, but seeing ahs how project low buck did it on stock block and stock cams, it isn't 'THAT' hard.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Racer_X said:
HOLY CRAP 20K!!!!! you must be adding in instal prices on everything :-D. it's hard to run a 10, but seeing ahs how project low buck did it on stock block and stock cams, it isn't 'THAT' hard.
Like I said, depends on how you want to do it. Personally I know I've spent ~20k myself and I doubt I'll be running 10's all day long.
Other guys have spent 30-35 and may not run 10's....although theres clearly the potential, just making a point. ;)
*Oh, and theres no labor prices when you do all the work yourself. ;) *

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
heck, 10s have only been acheived by how many 3/Ss?
I think 4 or may be 5 is it?

Takes some money, takes tuning skill, and takes driving skill.

I am sure there are people that could try thier hardest and still only get a 12 out of DRs or AAMs 10 second beasts.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Amen. My point exactly. :headbang: ..well said

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
Mrsunshine, try about $300 bucks, or $600 for a set of rebuilt 14b turbos, which flow more than a 15g (although only slightly more). But 15g's will run ya $1500 or more for a set. Or, you can go REALLY lowbuck and just buy used 14b's that were taken care of and have low miles, you can find those for 200 a piece or even less.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just FYI

Just letting you know i get some free time and i priced EVERYHTING you need to make a HIGH performance Machine and it got up to over 27,000 for Motor/Tranny/Breaks/Intake/So on and so on. So .......

·
Registered
695 Posts
i'm glad to see that you inculded brakes into your list of mods, imo way too many people forget how important it is to stop as well or better than you accelerate.

edit: to go tens a couple of times would take around 10g, to go tens reliably would take a lot more, upwards of 15-20g.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.