Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering about this. i think i am going to replace the timing belt and maybe a few other things on it but not the whole 60k tune up (third one). and i want to make some money off of it. how much do you think i could charge for just the long block? how much for longblocek, turbos, and intercoolers? thanks!

Chris

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
Assuming it is from the 1992 in your sig it is a 2-bolt correct? With 180,000 miles you could probably get about $500-1000 for it.

Personally, the only way I would buy it is if you sold it for $300 because 180,000 miles on a 1st gen crank is asking for trouble.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
$300 for the longblock:eek: :( it costs about $1000 just to do the 60k tune up. i was also thinking of replacing the timing belt by itself and that is a $550 job. just the 60k tune up parts are worth more than the long block? that seems kind of odd but if that is the case i guess it does not matter what i think. if new internals and crank and a rebuild were done wouldn't this engine be as good as new if it was in good condition? i mean i think the shortblock and heads (without pistons/rods cams, cam gears, crank and all the other billions of little things like the IAC for example) would be worth more than $300. i was thinking i could make money off of this engine but it looks like it will cost me money just to get it in a good condition to get the car here:( . if i parted out a whole TT engine and all the little parts and such do you you think i could get any more? what about turbos (~$350 in good condition yes?) and intercoolers? thanks for the replies!

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
At 180,000 miles, the crank has had it.

2nd gen crank (why put in a 1st gen?): ~$680
New bearings ~$150
Oil Pump ~$130
Water Pump ~$90
Timing Belt ~$90
Timing Belt Tensioner ~$40
Timing Belt Idler Pulley ~$30
Engine Gasket set ~$300
Piston rings ~150

Total of $1,660 just to replace all the worn out parts. That is a lot of money. Plus with that kind of mileage, the block could use to be bored out and have bigger pistons put in. The heads also probably need a valve job. Now your up to well over $2,000. If you do the work yourself, it may be worth it, if you pay someone, forget about it.

By longblock you mean just the block and heads right? If you include all the accessories including turbos, add about $400 to the price.

A motor with that kind of mileage needs to be retired, not rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well if all that was done it would (theoretically) run like new though right? i guess that makes sence though because that is a lot of work. still for someone who wants to build their engine and just blew theirs up it would be a good deal right? and yea by longblock i just mean block and heads, sorry, should have made that clearer. do you think i could part it out and make more money? thanks for the input.

mikes2nd- i acctually have 3 shortblocks now he he. (just short block steel peice nothing else is that what you mean. i am not talking about pistons and such). if you want one we might be able to work something out soon. i think they are all 2 bolt mains and if the one i am not sure about is 4 bolt, that is the one i will keep but it is not that hard for a shop to do a conversion for you i think if you are concernedabout that. let me know.

thanks for all the replies.:beer:

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tokaygecko- almost for got to ask, a lot of the stuff you mentioned there was 60k tune up stuff, i.e.

Oil Pump ~$130
Water Pump ~$90
Timing Belt ~$90
Timing Belt Tensioner ~$40
Timing Belt Idler Pulley ~$30

and i assume rings and crank are definatly not a 60k item but maybe the others are, not sure. if i did the 60k do you think i could sell the engine for more and if so, would i be able to sell it for enough more to justify the cost and time? thanks!

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
You may be able to break even on the 60K parts, but the motor should sell much quicker. If you think about it though, it's not worth it. Anyone who is going through the trouble of rebuilding a motor like that most likely will want to mod the hell out of it. In order to do that, the block would probably need to be bored and have oversized pistons installed. For just a few hundred more, they could buy a preassembled factory shortblock from Mitsu for like $2,800 and get a 3 angle valve job done on their existing heads. Much better option, and they'd get a 4-bolt.

Good luck. If you decide to part it out, I may be interested in the heads. Let me know if you decided to part if out. [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.