Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am in the process of installing an all JL audio system in my car with an Eclipse head unit and I can't decide on how much power. I am getting a JL 10w6v2 sub in a 0.75 cubic foot ported enclosure. I am trying to decide how much power the sub is gonna need to sound it's best. I'm debating between running the entire system with JL's 500/5 which puts out 250/1 to the sub or getting a JL 300/4 for the fronts and a JL 500/1 for the sub. The sub is rated to handle 400 continuous watts and 600-700 is the high end as far as reliable performance goes. The JL 250/1 puts out closer to 325 and the 500/1 puts out around 600 from what I've been told. What do you guys think?

h82luz

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
i have the same setup as you - works great
300/4 for the fronts and rears
500/1 for the subs
and i have an eclipse head unit...
i think i have more of an enclosure though - might want to rethink your sub box design - i thought it was 1cu ft per speaker in a sealed enclosure (i could be wrong - it's been a while since i made my box).
Matt

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I got my information straight off of JL's website. Their 10w6 requires about 1 cubic foot in a sealed enclosure but the new 10w6v2 only needs 0.65 cubic feet for sealed or 0.75 cubic feet for ported. I picked that sub because of it's very small space requirements and ability to handle lots of power.

h82luz

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah

You would definitely need more space than what I was willing to give up. So anyway, for a single 10w6v2, you think the 500/1 will do it right???

h82luz

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
if the power requirements are the same as the 10W6, and you're looking for a great sound with a thump that will reset your heartbeat but will not propell you down the road all by itself (read: ghetto shit) then yes. i made my own box to fit between the rear strut towers so that the speakers are facing the back on a trapezoid looking face and i have gobs of trunk room. i mounted the amps on the back of the rear seats. everything else is in the stock location.
Matt

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll go with the 500/1. At least that way I can still fold down my backseats independently. I'd put everything behind the backseats but I have a strut tower bar that limits available space in that area. Not to mention I have to put the brain for the Eclipse 5605 back there somewhere also. This could get interesting.

Thanks for the opinion Valheru, sounds like it'll work.

h82luz

Oh, by the way, the 10w6v2 is rated to handle 400 watts where as the 10w6 is rated to handle 300 watts. Course, since you run 2 subs, I'm sure that makes a big difference.

·
Lord of Eagle's Reach
1,511 Posts
you know, you could make a box with the strut tower bar running through it and then in order to get the box out you'd have to unbolt the strut tower bar, but it'd be rather secure.
Matt

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
true

But I'm already having the box built and I've already paid for it. If I ever decide to go back in with 2 10's, I might do it that way though. You're right about the box being secure though, it wouldn't go anywhere.

h82luz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.