Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every time I shift in second gear it always make the sound like gear and gear scrape together.... I hate that noise... don't know what could've caused it, but I think it's the syncro on the second gear...... Anyone know how to fix this problem?... and how much would it cost?....... I just changed the gear oil redline mt90 .... not yet change the rear differential though.... first is no problem... second problem... and from 2nd on no problem with shifting....well if drive for a long time then shifting in second doesn't make anymore sound.... weird....

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
I got mine from KORMEX for about $120 I think. You will probably need a new 2nd gear also which is an additional $100. Kormex is great though.

It is not a fun job cracking the tranny apart and installing the new syncro. I am still doing mine. I put everything back and now I can't shift into 1st of 2nd so out it comes again :(

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
Rspped:
Kormex is in Ontario, so it's not a far drive from you. I'm sure you could drive up there and Frank could take a look at it for you.

Peace,
Rob

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
know the url to kormex website?... I might just drop by for a visit....

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the same exact problem in a 93' VR4. If I shift really slow, it doesnt scrape. But quick shifts result in a very obnoxious grind. I spent 1600 to have it fixed, but it still is screwed, and the shop wont do anything about it.(they also replaced the clutch for 1600) How much should a shop charge to replace the entire 2nd gear syncro? I have heard 1300, but that sounds steep.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
over 1k? i wouldn't do it if it's over $500... geez.... wtf is wrong with these prices?..... Wonder if the car still ok for normal driving if it's just grind?..... I don't have $ to change it now... have to wait for a few months or so to have the $... Anyone live in Souther Cali like to help me a bit? heh know how to do this kind of stuff?>....

·
Registered
103 Posts
a guy told me he has driven his for over a year and hasnt had a problem...but you know it cant be very good for the car. I want to get mine fixed asap, but nobody around here can get it right.

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
naughtyTT said:
I spent 1600 to have it fixed, but it still is screwed, and the shop wont do anything about it. How much should a shop charge to replace the entire 2nd gear syncro?
What did they do for $1600 besides replace the clutch? Did you see the replacement parts? Did they give you the old parts?

Mitsu and Getrag do not sell complete synchro sets or any internal parts that I know of. Kormex sells the ring, that's all. To see the components look at my web page below.

http://www.geocities.com/lutransys/jlucius/2-AWD4.htm

I have a set of new complete synchros, seen on the web page above. I have thought about seeing if a machine shop could duplicate the parts, but I bet the cost would be way beyond what most people would be willing to pay. But maybe not. Kormex sells just the ring (not cones, sleeves, or hub) for ~$120 each. I'm guessing the other parts really don't wear or break much is why Kormex only offers the ring.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well...besides bending me over and giving it to me up the tailpipe, they replaced the clutch, surfaced the flywheel, replaced the front tie rods, suposedly fixed the sycronizer. All the parts combined were around 500 bux. The labor was 1100 and I was told that was way too much for what they did. They kept all my old parts, and were jerks about the whole thing. If I bought the parts from that site you gave me, how much should a shop honestly charge me to install them?(guesstimate)

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
I don't know what a shop should charge. However, I believe the shop is required to give you all old parts if you request. I don't think they can legally refuse to do so. If you suspect fraud on their part (besides being asses or bad businessmen), that is another matter.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
I am considering rebuilding other peoples trannys. After rebuilding mine, its not that though. Kormex syncro is really good. My old syncro was warn and was allowing about 1/2 inch "slop" between first and second. Th new one from Kormex seems to be better than the original!

Doug, glad to hear the optimism :) Hope you are having a good vacation. Winni is doing great!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 93' TT with a worn out 1-2 sychro. I was told that the AWD trannie (made by Getrag) could not be fixed. They told me that I would have to replace the whole trannie, for about $4000 including labor. Has anybody ever had the 5 speed AWD trannie fixed?

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
I list 9 shops that repair our Getrag trany on the Garage Page at my web site. Click on the pic below.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
If it is truely grinding then it sounds like its shot, if its just link pushing something metal between to other metal things. Then it could just be normal. On my 93 SL, 2nd isn't the smoothest gear, but what helps resolve this problem is drive in first then when you shift sorta go to the nuetral position then slide it in 2nd. Sorta at an angle. This usually results in really smooth shifts. Other wise when i shift striaght back, it sorta feels like ti has to push the gates open, yet it doesnt grind.

-Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts