A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
91 VR-4 (Turbos in Great Shape)
I have:-
1)Intake
2)3" Cat-back Customized APEXi N1 Exhaust
3)Greddy Type-s BOV (Vents air back into the intake track)
4)ATR Cat Eliminator Downpipe (running without the Cat.)
5)APEXi 2nd Generation AFC (Not tuned)
6)APEXi Super Silencer

By the way, my Apexi boost gauge shows 10 psi of boost. I just wanna get an estimate before I get a boost controller installed. Please help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
at the crank? Thats less than stock.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Nono, my typo. I said crank ... meant flywheel, sorry for the confusion. The 91' were the first series, 2-bolt main and boost at max 8 psi. On my first dyno day I saw a dyno sheet of a 91 US car and it netted 280hp with a K&N. Our europeans are rated to 284PS and mine got 286 before, 352 at 12-13psi with bleeder and 362-370 PS at 14.7psi. Assuming the year, 295-300hp is more real although if it is in real good shape another 20hp are possible.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roger, thanks for your input. I guess my boost gauge was giving me false reading because it use to read at 9 psi before I installed the ATR downpipe cat. eliminator and 10 psi after I had it. I was like ...WoW !!! the downpipe does make a huge difference besides making the exhaust sound better without the Cat. I checked the vacuum hoses and I can't find leakage or any hoses that was disconnected. What else can I check for? By the way, the turbos kicks in really fast after I had the downpipe. Is that what you call turbo spiking or something like that? Will it damage the turbos? And lastly, how much should be running after I put in the boost controller and have it set on 14 psi? Thanks alot. Please help.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
14-15psi max, no glimp more ! You have a slightly better spool-up with the new dp but the precats should be gutted out first to free up the flow. No, you won't kill the turbos if you let them cool down after long heating up periods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts