Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys just wondering how much extra horsepower you would an RT (non turbo) would get from a New K&N Filter Charger?

TorontoRT
94 Stealth RT

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
so how much gain on a TT?
thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it louder (cabin noise) does it get by adding the K&N? If, how much?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard 3-5 hp for the non turbo and 10-20 on the turbo cars. Yes, it is a little louder than stock, a hissing or air sucking noise.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Why don't we get two volunteers (neither of which will be me) and dyno your car with and without the K&N so we can settle this for once and for all.

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
ON my R/T, it was alot louder at high revs if you have the resonator out. It was louder than most exhausts I've heard. It's a real nice sound. Kinda sounds like a roar. Not too loud with normal driving. ON the twin turbo, it doesn't sound as loud, but there is the sucking and hissing noise. It sounds awesome! As you accelerate, you hear it suck more and more air, and when you shift, you hear a loud hiss. I love it. With the K&N filter, there probably is only 3-5 hp gain, but the K&N is still very restrictive compared to other cone filters. The cone I have is a generic $25 cone with an opening at the top, so it has more surface area to let in air. I wouldn't recommend K&N to people who want more bang for the buck. You can get better for cheaper. The intake setup I have cost me only $70. All you need is a MAS adapter, which mine is metal and not plastic like the K&N, and a cone. You can just get an eclipse adapter for about $45 and it bolts right on. Then just get whatever cone you want. They have cones that are only wire mesh, which are the least restrictive you can get. Those go for about $55. The only thing is that cleaning ability and restrictiveness are directly proportional. The less restriction, the less cleaning. K&N is good air filter, but not the best for performance.

Jason
92 Stealth R/T TT

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These theories are all wrong. Our cars only suck up a certain amount of air at WOT. I can't remember the exact figure. And the K&N has a higher cfm flow than our cars can suck up. So anything above a K&N's flow is worthless. The K&N comes with a good warranty, and it still provides good filtration along with the higher flow, where as a mesh air filter is gonna allow too much crap into your engine. There is no need for a super high flow filter above and beyone those out there, cause they will just be useless, at least without a air/fuel ratio computer and better fuel pump/injectors.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about taking out the resonator Bottle?
How much extra horse power on a 94RT?? (base)

seems like these mods supply very little horsepower...not sure if its even worth the money.

Later
TorontoRT

·
Registered
486 Posts
Taking off the resonator bottle doesn't give that much more power, but it makes the engines sound SWEEEEEEEEET!!! It gives the car a serious growl above 4000rpm, and is definitely worth the 10 minutes it takes.

Brian
91 STealth ES

1 - 12 of 12 Posts