Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

How much are sr20det's going for?

515 views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  brainfood 
#1 ·
I was thinking about my next project maybe being a 240sx with an sr20det.. or maybe the gtpro turbo kit with low compression forged pistons? what do you think?

#3 ·
I just read an article in Super Street magazine that was about turning a 240SX into a Silvia. They said that the engines go from about $7k and up depending on the mileage. I too thought about doing an early 90s 240 project car sometime. It would definetly be a fun little car! I am hoping to find one with a blown engine for a couple hundred bucks.

#8 ·
Actually, I'll set ya all straight about the SR20 class of engines. Seeing as to how I was totally into my 96 200SX SE-R prior to my current car and looked at every aspect of upgrading it.

The best place to get info for the SR20 platform is SE-R.net

You can get the imported SR20DE-T engines imported for anywheres as low as $1600. Most of them will come with a RWD trannie. On all US cars that use a SR20 block, the RWD trannie is useless, but some people have done conversions. There were NO SR20DE-T engines manufacturered in the US. The SR20DE can very easily add a turbo with not too terribly much more work and lots of info are on SE-R.net.

The engine has a lot of power and is lots of fun, but for the money I would have spent to get it up to the amount of power I'm running now, I would have paid for that car twice over.

Also, if anyone decides to join their email message list, do not mention street racing, they are truly anal about that stuff. But alot of those guys have a huge amount of info to share.

#10 ·
Good luck. I don't think you can get it done for 1600. Everywhere I've seen says you have to put away bout 4 grand if you want to get EVERYTHING you need. I guess it really depends on how good of a scavanger you are if you plan on getting it closer to 2gs. Go to www.zilvia.net and look at the posts. I think they have a couple links from shops that do the swap.

And then there's the problem of CARB out here in Cali... :(

#12 ·
My roomate just got a SR20DET put in his 1995 240SX, he got it with Greddy pulleys, additional cooler fans, and has a greddy intercooler on the way. The engine only cost him about $1500 i believe.......... If you have any questions I'm sure I can ask him for any of you looking to do this swap! I'll post some pics if I can find the time to go and take em!! :D

#13 ·
If anyone is truly interested in the SR20DETs and wants good places to get the engines and great prices or upgrades on the SR20DE, let me know via email, over the past 2 1/2 years, I accumulated more info than I would ever need. That could be why I still miss my little 4 cylinder baby. :(

#14 ·
i'm intersted in a S14 srd20det swap also.

last time i checked i believe Motorex claims they can probably make it carb legal somehow, they haven't tried it but my friend talk to them on the phone and they are confident enough to do it. not exactly sure on the detail..do you know anything about a legal SR20DET engine in a car driven daily?

better question..is there anyway to have a legal turbo 240sx in the states??

#15 ·
Stop!

Brain food, get a 240sx!!! BTW, I bought the same bodykit a year ago and I never had time to put it on my 90' 240sx!!!! The kit is sitting in my back yard collecting dust and you just gave me some momentum, good work :)
I just helped a friend did a SR20DET swap, the engine is smaller than the KA24DE(US) motor, it goes into the engine bay with the transmission very easily(unlike my VR4).
The FWD SR20DET from the SE-R WILL NOT WORK with the 240sx, you need to get the s13-s15 engine from Japan. The older red top SR20DET from the S13 pops 205 HP and it whould cost $1600-$2800, a $2800 engine should include the Engine, ECU, uncut engine wiring harness, tranny, chips, MAS. The S14 S15 engine are alot harder to find and more expansive. S15 has a 6 spd tranny and 225 HP.
The US spec SR20DE is different than the Jspec, but they have alot of parts that are interchangeable so finding parts are not hard.
The SR20DET is great, but a turbo KA24DET engine will cost you about the same money but more HP. Stock S13 SR20DET should do 14.5 in 1/4 mile, but a stock KA24DE with the T3/T4 turbo will get you into 13.9 easily.

#16 ·
Haha. I was waiting for you to post Red! Howz the parts coming along? Where have you been? I've stopped planning for this project cause I just don't see it feasible w/o spending TONS of money. If you watch, you will see everyone "talk" about the swap... but no one has done it. Okay, I won't say nobody because I'm sure there are maybe a handful but you get the picture. I think there is a reason for that. The shops that I have seen that do the swap say the car will be for track only. Now personally, I do not want a turbo S13/14 as a track only car. For track only, I'd want a monster 3000GT!!!:D

#17 ·
BLK GTO,so....you are not getting a 240? anyway, the SR20DET is very streetable and it's not too powerful, I don't understand why the shops in your area said that it's for track only~~ may be they haven't done enough research or they just don't want the troble for installing a turbo JSpec Engine :(
BTW, I've found a place that makes the turbo header for the US spec KA24DE and it's only $450, the T3/T4 turbo will bolt right on it!! so I think $1300-$1500 will turbo up one of my 240 really soon. Then I'll have a 13sec 4 banger hahahahaha......

#18 ·
I have 2 SR20DET red tops. Both are under 50k miles and have been compression checked.
$2100 includes
Fully running motor with turbo
5 speed tranny
Full wiring harness.

Only thing missing is ECU, but if you're planning on modding it you'll buy a Power FC, Jim Wolf computer, or full stand alone ECU anyway.

Here is a pic of a fella that drives his 240 everyday, races it and made 320rwhp on pump gas. He ran 12.3@113mph

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
Hey Red,

I based it off of what was available on the website at http://www.unstable-hybrids.com/

They commonly do engine swaps and if you look at the site, you will see in the FAQ that the engines are not street legal(no CARB). Anything that isn't street legal will be a pain in the ass to deal with. This is the main reason that turned me away from the car. Nightmare, I'm guessing that the emissions law in your state is more relaxed. If anyone has any info of anyone that has a street legal version here in Cali, I'd love to hear it.

#22 ·
brainfood said:
Thats the route I would take.. custom turbo the ka24de becuase if you pop the engine... and put lower compression pistons... say 8:1 and then get a bigger turbo, injectors, and fuel controller... with maybe say some head work I dont see a reason it couldnt be a 12 sec car...
http://www.houston-imports.com/index2.html

Exactly what you are talking about on the front page. Click on the 240 on the front page. Check out St00pid too. :D

#25 ·
redredmelo said:
NIGHTMARE, what kind of turbo is it in the picture? man....it's 3 times bigger than the stock turbo. BTW, are you selling the wiring off the SR20DET?
That is an HKS 3037 turbo. Now you'll have to give me more info as far as to "selling the wiring off the SR":confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.