Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
I had mine sitting for a couple weeks on the stand. It sat for over a month when it was still in the crate with the dessicant and oil paper wrappings.

Keep it tightly covered in plastic any time you're not actively working on it. Take some clean oil and put a thin coating on the cylinder walls with a clean LINT FREE rag. Make sure you you're using assembly lube on the bearings and not simple motor oil. It'll ooze out over time. You cannot be too clean with your motor. A couple friends were making fun of me over how clean I was being with my engine, but it paid off. 16,000 miles later it's still running good while my friend's Eclipse engine (which he did a half-assed driveway rebuild on) is a useless lump of metal :D

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
Had to rebuild a 350 from a 97 chevy work truck...I pre lubed it and when i was done, i was needed in the fields for harvest. I covered all holes with paper towels, and put 2 large trash bags over it. Sat for about 4 months before i had time to put it back in. Has 12,000 miles on it, running fine.
-Jess

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Spray it down with diesel and put it in an engine bag. Keep it in a dry place. It will be safe for almost ever. I was a Manager of a Production Engine Rebuilder and that's what we did with ours. I had some that sat that way for almost 10 years.

Dave

·
Registered
434 Posts
from personal experience........it can sit awile prelubed.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Origanlly quoted by brainfood

just the whole block? in the cylinders also?

Yes.........Cylinders also. The whole motor. After it's assembled.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts