Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking about this, how often (if) do you guys get the ol' K&N cleaner kit out?

I'm pretty sure mine has about 4 years on it and 30-40,000 miles without anything. Think I should give it a cleaning? haha

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I still stand by what I wrote in my FAQ:

K&N claims that you can wash and re-oil their filters 40 times. If you do that every 25K miles like they say, they claim you'll get a million miles out of your air filter. Meanwhile, your car will have spent the last 800 thousand of those miles in the junkyard. So, clean it every 10K miles. Cleaner air can only help your engine's longevity.

I do mine every 10K miles or so.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Andrew Caple said:
I still stand by what I wrote in my FAQ:

K&N claims that you can wash and re-oil their filters 40 times. If you do that every 25K miles like they say, they claim you'll get a million miles out of your air filter. Meanwhile, your car will have spent the last 800 thousand of those miles in the junkyard. So, clean it every 10K miles. Cleaner air can only help your engine's longevity.

I do mine every 10K miles or so.
It was my understanding that having a filter slightly dirty increased filtration / dirt trapping. Also, how much oil do you squirt on the filter?

·
Registered
436 Posts
tripleboston said:
It was my understanding that having a filter slightly dirty increased filtration / dirt trapping. Also, how much oil do you squirt on the filter?

Yes, that is true... I usually sqirt on just enought to where all the gauze turns out red... Not dripping and not too dry...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Have recently been following threads on offroad trucks. GM is apparently making a stink and not warrantying ANYTHING connected to intakes if you use an open element filter. The surmisal is that oils are being applied too liberally and getting in there and causing problems. So, in case they're right, when you guys do your cleaning and recharging (oiling) make sure you don't over oil.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Chamkila911 said:
can someone please post on how you are supposed to oil the k&n filter. I really dont know how to. Thanks
http://www.knfilters.com/clningins.htm

I found this interesting, again, straight from K&N:

PERFORMANCE HINTS
1) Service every 50,000 -100,000 miles on street driven applications.
2) Service often in off-road or heavy dust conditions or when air filter reaches 18" of restrictions.
3) Let the dirt "build-up" work for you; it will not hurt the performance and actually help filter the air.
CAUTION:
Extreme fine dust in agriculture or off-road use will pull the oil
from the element. Frequent re-oiling of the element's clean side might be required. Completely service when practicable. For extra protection use K&N sealing grease on rubber ends of the element. Service only with K&N air filter cleaner and K&N air filter oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts