Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I am finally almost out of college and am looking for a toy to play with (what else can I do with all of the spare time i'm gonna have after grad.;) ) I was driving the other day and I saw the SWEETEST car I had ever seen. I pulled up and it was a VR 4. I have been looking at the specs every since, and I'm kind of cautious.
Understand that I don't have any experience with small engines. My friends all cruise in old muscle cars. But I want an exotic car, and by god the 3000gt looks pretty dam* exotic!!
Here is what i think so far. VR 4's are heavy, and they only have a 3.0 l v6?? Can a car so heavy (almost 4000 lbs) and have such a small motor really be quick? I have read that the AWS system adds over 400 lb to the car. I guess that it could be removed.
Also, exactly how much $$ would it take to be a relatively dominant car on the road?? (I hate Z-28's and Trans Am's)

I SWEAR THIS IS MY LAST QUESTION(I promise)
Since I'm mainly interested in 0-100mph(don't have the juevos enough to mess with 150+.... Is the vr-4 a good selection?? I want low end speed and sweet ass handling..
Any info and personal experience you have would be great.

later

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
Good choice by looking at the VR4. They are definately exotic looking cars. If you buy one i would go for a second or third gen. a 1994 and up. Anyway i wouldn't worry about the weight. So don't take the AWS system out. Anyway if your looking at low speeds the VR4 is the best car for you, in my opinion. I think everyone on this board will agree with me that, not many cars out there are going to beat a VR4 to 60 miles an hour if you have a good launch. You haven't experienced a quick takeoff until you sit in a VR4 with a 5k rpm clutch drop. So ask around more and good luck, i hope you get one.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The extra weight is very much comensated by the 300-320hp
V6 TT engine. And you definitly need AWD, it jumps off the line,
scaring lots of RWD cars to death. Stock, a TT will run mid to upper
13's- depending on the skill of the driver. The record I heard for stock was a 1996 Stealth R/T TT running 13.0 flat. ( 1996's were the lightest year made. ) VR4's are very exotic, you will get compliments all the time. You don't see them every 5 miles everyplace you go. Unluck all the mustang's and camaro's.
The AWD and AWS ( all wheel steering ) Makes it a supreme road handler. All I have to say is just go and test drive one, you won't regret it. good luck-

·
Make it go fast for cheap
273 Posts
ahahah GET ONE!

i boutght a 92 stealth tt
its the most bang-for-the-buck car youll EVER find.

i frequent the tampa street racing scene all the time.
and only about 10 or 15 cars ( of about 300 that come regularly)
can really beat me in a race.
with a few mild mods... intake, free flow exhaust and a mild increase in boost. it takes a VERY modified RWD car or another 3si to beat one of these cars.

as for the weight.. yes its heavy.. but i take some comfort in the fact that if some dumbass in a SUV runs a light and rams me.. my car has the weight and mass to keep me alive .. where a mr2 or smaller would just crush and let me crush too.

as for the handling. at speed the AWS system is GREAT. the back is very planted. even at quick lane changes around 120 or so.
In additon. when sliding cars around corners.. when the back is sliding out just a quick flik of counter steer and ALL 4 Wheels turn to recover traction. The effect is that switching the rear tires from sliding friction to static friction is very easy.. where in a RWD car.. the move is tough to make.. and has a tendancy to " tail wag".

in addition. the 3si is FAST. but not many people know HOW FAST it is... they are REAL sleepers

my opinion.. BUY ONE. if you can get a late model 3k or Stealth.
you WILL be happy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
They are fast

i dont actually own a VR4 (although i am planning on buying one)

but, between all the cars i have compared it to i have always came out wanting a VR4 over anyother car.
the vr4 has 320hp stock and AWD and AWS .... it ties a c5 corvette in 0-60. And with about 2500 to 4000 dollars in mods you will be able to run low 12s ... at BPU this car will be able to take almost all street races 0-100 .. in my opinion ... you can check it out .... plus the VR4 has luxury and sport .. you got the bad ass suspension and the AWS and AWD for the sport .. and the Leather and Climate control and Sound System for the Luxury .. i say .. hell yeah go for the VR4 ... plus i think they look cooler than anyother car on the road that is in the same proce range ..... personally i like the looks better than porches and most ferraris ... well taht is my 2 cents worth .. later

Im out

·
Registered
5 Posts
all wheel steering

Is it true that the AWS weighs 400lbs? I'm a lightweight fanatic and was wondering if it would be possible to remove the all wheel steer and just somehow lock the rear wheels in a neutral position. I know the turning radius would suck (my longer wheelbase '91 vr4 turns sharper than my fiance's 97 eclipse GSX), but how would the handling be affected?

And for anyone contemplating getting a vr4...GET IT! You have so many options. You can get an older one for cheap and 'supe it up or spend more on a newer one and just enjoy its exotic looks.

thanks guys

·
F orum Whore/troll
847 Posts
Re: all wheel steering

well i can say they are great off the line, and quick up to a 100.
as for aftermarket support...... i think it's really lacks in that department compared to the other imports in the same class, but it's been coming up recently. and trannys can be a problem if there ragged on too much.

as with any import with a timing belt, check when it's do and if u can, look for one that has all or a majority of the service records for it.

·
465awhp
1,632 Posts
As for power, how about 600hp scream machine daily drive VR4:D. All u need are bigger turbos, more fuels, and $$$. Then u'll be hard to beat on the street. Peoples will come by to drool on ur car and WOW at the gauges and electronics.:D I'm experience it right now.:)

Black94VR4:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh my God

hey black94vr4

That has got to be the SWEETEST car that I have ever seen!!! I want a full list of mods.. +cost:D

Love the drop and the rims, very nice.

So what kind of cars do you race with that?? Think you can take a vette? Also, how controllable is all of that power?

Heres the kicker... is it even possible to pull a 4 wheel spin?? That would have to be an awsome sight!

·
465awhp
1,632 Posts
pikachoo,

I did a 4 wheels burnout twice at 5K. I shouldn't do this too many time, bad for tranny. I have these mods only for a month, so I haven't race anyone yet. There was a full-size pick up truck raced me w/o me knowing it. I caught up and passed quicky in 2nd gear then he slowed down before 65mph. I'm going to the track this weekend to see what time I'll get.

Black94VR4

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The AWD system does weight a little bit, but the AWS
doesn't weight hardly anything. I think another post
said about 20-40lbs. Not really worth it in the long run,
unless you are making this a total race car. Which most people
really aren't. And the AWS does help the cornering. So it doesn't
really make sense to take it out. I don't know about the TT's,
but my N/A you have to watch a little bit. Even with the engine
over the wheels, I've been known to squeak the tires on accident. Hey, it's a tough job, but someone has to do it. :D
The AWD I'm sure makes a world of difference in control and off the line. Try dropping the clutch at 5K on any mustang or F-body.
:eek: So much for the tires. Can I not say enough good things about our cars or what? :D

·
I have too many cars
369 Posts
Now that you've already heard the specs on these cars. I'll just say, there is NO WAY that you will be disspointed. My $25,000 Mustang w/ mods got embarrassed by my STOCK RT/TT Stealth. Just a little cash and you are nearly untouchable.

Mustang,

·
F orum Whore/troll
847 Posts
Re: Oh my God

pikachoo said:
hey black94vr4

Love the drop and the rims, very nice.

agree. his is one of the only ones that i have seen with a nice gap, or lack of wheel gap. for some reason 3si just sit really high.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Here is my experience:

LT1 F-bodies (Camaros and Firebirds): Stock I could beat them from any situation (stop or roll)

LS1 F-bodies: Stock I could take them 0-100mph but from a roll they pulled me but not too much.

At BPU (Basic Performance Upgrades) which is:

Boost @ 15 psi ($50-$500)
Downpipe/Gutted Cats (Free-$350)
Exhaust ($350-750)

At this level I was able to pull WS6 Trans Ams from a roll (even if they had exhaust/minor mods). Of course I am at high elevation which robs HP from cars but most BPU VR4's are about as fast as the WS6 (some more, some less). This put me on par with a new Vette convertible. For 0-100 you won't beat this car. If you can drive, a guy on this boad named Matt cuts 1.6x 60' times on the street on normal street tires. If you know anything about drag racing you will know that is FAST. That will put you 4-5 cars ahead of nearly any RWD car right off the bat. I put 8 cars to 100mph on a new Camaro SS from a stop because he spun his tires and I got a great launch.

·
465awhp
1,632 Posts
I raced an '00 SS once. We raced up too 120mph, and I was able to pull 2 car lengths. Could be driver error or BPU does helps alot.

Black94VR4

Attachments

·
Open it up!
334 Posts
I have a spyder which is another 400 punds heavier than the regular 95 coupe and have run 13s at the drag strip with no mods except a $50 air filter. That is extremely fast. I have beaten big v-8 muscle cars at the strip and they can't believe it. You will crush mustangs, camaros, trans ams and all but the newest vettes with this car.

AWD is a huge benefit for handling as is the AWS.

The other key point is that you can drive for days without seeing another one. If you like being somewhat unique, it's a good choice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts