Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does this work internally? Is it splitting the exhaust inside the muffler (before deadening) off to the passenger? Though with one little resonator I'd imagine it would be quite louder on that passenger side.

Confused.

·
Registered
1994 Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR
200 Posts
Well, the only way to find out is to cut the exhaust open and see how they routed the piping/baffling.

Logically thinking, everything is already baffled and piped accordingly.

Here is an example of an OEM muffler from a Honda S2000:

Here is how it looks like from the inside (ignore the diagram, I grabbed this off Google and is not mine, only used as a visual reference):

I would imagine it's probably pretty similar except instead of using a 1-2 Y pipe (like this example here), it's a 1 to 1 pipe (for whatever engineering reasons), and they would extend the piping out the back of the muffler housing.

Being that the majority of the sound has already deafened, a small resonator is only needed to achieve a similar performance or decibel level. I would think that using a straight pipe would just... be a straight pipe and completely change how the exhaust flows and how the vehicle sounds.

It could be that it may not even be as baffled within the muffler, as in it's just a big open canister with free flowing exhaust. One portion in the muffler with sound deadening/baffling, and the "extended piping" taking the rest of the flow. With the additional length, and resonator at the end, may be enough to tame the sound and flow of performance.

All speculation and hypothesizing without cutting open the muffler, of course.

Although I am not an engineering expert, nor am I a multi-billionaire conglomerate business owner, I would think that a lot of science, money, and time went into why it looks and performs the way it does.

I hope this helps.

·
www.cts-racing.com
1993 Stealth RT/TT
3,328 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Super informational from both of you. And wow I would have never expected a site would have so much detail.

I have the base model, so that tour/sport button is not there. I'm guessing by default it would have no actuator with essentially 50/50 tour mode. (I can't believe all the technology these cars added in for the years, it's crazy to me.)

So:
1. When people install a catback exhaust, I'm guessing the main reason is to rid this stock muffler setup that's likely quite restrictive?
2. The resonator and pre-muffler that are on the base models, I'm guessing that helps with the raspy/overlap since there are no turbos? As the VR4 doesn't have them.

I might do an electric cutout (right after the 2 pre-mufflers) instead of doing a catback. Basically make my own sport/touring button while keeping the resonators. Loud is ok but not sure what it'd sound like, could find out ha.

·
Registered
1994 Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR
200 Posts
Super informational from both of you. And wow I would have never expected a site would have so much detail.

I have the base model, so that tour/sport button is not there. I'm guessing by default it would have no actuator with essentially 50/50 tour mode. (I can't believe all the technology these cars added in for the years, it's crazy to me.)

So:
1. When people install a catback exhaust, I'm guessing the main reason is to rid this stock muffler setup that's likely quite restrictive?
2. The resonator and pre-muffler that are on the base models, I'm guessing that helps with the raspy/overlap since there are no turbos? As the VR4 doesn't have them.

I might do an electric cutout (right after the 2 pre-mufflers) instead of doing a catback. Basically make my own sport/touring button while keeping the resonators. Loud is ok but not sure what it'd sound like, could find out ha.
1. Yes, and no. (At least attesting to the turbo model), it can support up to a maximum of 500 HP. A catback will provide a sound the owner prefers, and offers further performance potential.

2. Personally, I don't think a turbo would differ much in exhaust note. You have to remember, in general, a turbo will only start to spool when given enough exhaust. Most turbo engines are going to be "naturally aspirated" until a certain RPMs/throttle position that kick in the turbines (for the turbo models, it's not much at all like 2,500-3,000 RPM, but just to give you an idea of what's going on.)

The engine's are slightly different (big significance if you're comparing SOHC vs DOHC) and I honestly think the pistons and the way the exhaust piping from N/A versus turbo is designed is what determines any form of raspiness / overlap.

Also from an engineering standpoint, engines are kind of like people. They are all created from the same plans, however they aren't exactly built the same, and will each hum and do things differently +/- 1%. Not one engine will ever sound the same as another, even though equally built, is what I mean.

·
www.cts-racing.com
1993 Stealth RT/TT
3,328 Posts

So:

Catback's are utilized to support additional horsepower and mostly for different noises/aesthetic reasons. The factory exhaust is also quite heavy.

The resonator and pre-muffler do help quiet down resonance. The turbocharged models essentially have a "muffler" in the way of the turbine housing that helps dampen the noise from the engine.

There used to be quite a few aftermarket options that were universally useable. I haven't researched bolt-on exhaust on a 3/s for well over 10 years so not sure what's out there. Back in the day Borla was a sought after one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts