Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my friends, I just noticed we have that kind of gasket (pic below) on the timing covers, and I saw at least two posts mentioned that it may cause engine damage. But I still can not find the answer about how they resolve this finally.

So should we keep them on then just find some way to make them stick on position, or should we remove them completely to prevent possible damage?

If we just remove them, will this removal hurt anything?

Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine ripped apart and partially stuck to the metal when I did my timing. I ended up putting a bead of silicone in the groove of the cover and let it cure, then put the cover back. I wouldn't bother trying to re-glue that dried out strip

·
TPW: The Prophet
'94 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
4,197 Posts
I ended up putting a bead of silicone in the groove of the cover and let it cure, then put the cover back. I wouldn't bother trying to re-glue that dried out strip
This is also what I did as the factory gaskets became brittle and began to break apart. All in all, the gasket is just there to reduce vibration of the cover against the engine and to prevent water intrusion from splashing. It doesn't need to make a super tight seal like a traditional gasket.

Reactions: zhloea
1 - 6 of 6 Posts