Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a great new set of keylocks from 007KEN (my key only works in my ignition and pass side door so I am replacing ALL of them so I can actally open my trunk and driver's door with a key!)

But I'm having trouble removing the ignition cylinder thing (on the steering console).

How do I take that thing off so I can replace the keyset???!??

·
Happy Happy Joy Joy
211 Posts
Just a Suggestion

Why dont you just install the locks that are needed.... and have a Locksmith rekey the rest to match your ignition key?

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, that would be too easy :)

Actually I already bought the things so I'd rather just replace them all at this point. Plus they came with a "real" stealth key (the one that says "Stealth" in the plastic).

So anyone know how to remove this thing??

·
1,280 Posts
The service manual lists 9 steps:

Remove air bag
Remove steering wheel
Remove knee protector
Remove lower column cover
remove upper column cover
Remove lap cooler duct and foot shower duct
Remove column switch and clockspring assy
Remove ignition key illumination ring
Remove steering lock assy... insert key into ignition and place in ACC posistion, use a small phillips screwdriver to press the lock pin down to remove the lock cylinder

Yuk.. This is no easy task if the book is right.I am with 3KDreamer, replace the bad ones and rekey.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
God, that service manual is a lifesaver a lot of times but it sure can WASTE TIME in some cases.

Today I finally got the chance to look at it again, it's SIMPLE. 20 minutes from start to finish. Don't need to remove the steering wheel or anything....

Remove the black trim around the gauges (2 screws)

Remove the gauge pod (4 screws)

remove upper column cover (2 screws)

Remove lower column cover (2 screws)

Insert key into ignition and place in ACC posistion, use a small phillips screwdriver to press the lock pin down, then pull out on the key (firmly) to remove the lock cylinder.

slide new lock cylinder in (will need the key set to ACC also)

replace all trim/gauges
-----

Thanks riskeavr4 for posting the directions, without them I would have been lost... I took the column covers off in preparation for removing the steering wheel, etc. .. but once I got the column cover back off, I noticed I could get to the locking pin with the small phillips screwdriver, the pin only goes in all the way when the key is to ACC and of course that makes it easier to pull it out because the key stays in the cylinder as you pull.

Again, 20 minute job. Works PERFECTLY. Thanks!

·
1,280 Posts
Glad to hear that worked out for you. I guess I had better file this one under "not necessarily following all manual directions". The book sure made it sound like a pain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts