Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I found the speedometor sensor. Is this it? I removed the one bolt holding it in, but it seems to be frozen in place and I'm afraid I'll break it or something else if I try to force it out. My speedo goes in and out and I'm hoping this solves the problem. I'm hoping to remove it and get a good look at the unit to find the right part. I'm afraid I won't be able to find a new one so I don't want to damage it. Does anyone have a picture of the unit once it is removed? I went to the 3sx site and I don't see one for sale. I searched on-line and some vendors advertise the part for like $20.00, but I don't want to spend the money only to find they sent me the wrong part!

IMG-3016.jpg

IMG-3015.jpg

IMG-3016.jpg

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,409 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that might be the case. I can't get my hand in there to unscrew that retainer. I tried. There is no room. Maybe I can get a pair of vise grips in there. Regarding autozone, I can't figure out why, but whenever I go to the site now, it says "Down for Maintenance." I'm wondering if it's a problem with the website or my browser. What did you see as the price? Thanks.

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,148 Posts
Be careful when you do remove the sensor as stated though as there is a small drive pin that can fall out and is easily lost. Without that pin the speed sensor wont work.

As far as finding a replacement goes, the same sensor is used on 93-98 Galants (according to ASA) so you should be able to find one fairly easily. They arent a common failure (but obviously can) so even a used one from the local pull and pay junkyard will likely work (I ended up doing this exact thing like 8 years ago and its been fine ever since).

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be careful when you do remove the sensor as stated though as there is a small drive pin that can fall out and is easily lost. Without that pin the speed sensor wont work.

As far as finding a replacement goes, the same sensor is used on 93-98 Galants (according to ASA) so you should be able to find one fairly easily. They arent a common failure (but obviously can) so even a used one from the local pull and pay junkyard will likely work (I ended up doing this exact thing like 8 years ago and its been fine ever since).
Thanks striker3!

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought that might be the case. I can't get my hand in there to unscrew that retainer. I tried. There is no room. Maybe I can get a pair of vise grips in there. Regarding autozone, I can't figure out why, but whenever I go to the site now, it says "Down for Maintenance." I'm wondering if it's a problem with the website or my browser. What did you see as the price? Thanks.
Must be the search enginer. I tried Google Chrome and it the autozone website came up

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is there a kit for these? I am having same issue speedo bounces all over the place at 60 then goes to zero about that... odometer wont work either when that happens...anything below 60 mph seems to work totally fine....

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a kit for these? I am having same issue speedo bounces all over the place at 60 then goes to zero about that... odometer wont work either when that happens...anything below 60 mph seems to work totally fine....

I found this, but in order for it to work I would need to remove the whole thing, and it won't come out! Any ideas how to free the base from the transmission?

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,409 Posts
I found this, but in order for it to work I would need to remove the whole thing, and it won't come out! Any ideas how to free the base from the transmission?

I don’t think that sensor will work if it actually looks as shown. When the bottom section is removed from transmission it will have a gear on end, it just slides in with o-ring seal that gets stuck. You’ll need to find a way you pry up without damaging it, maybe start by taping something slim under lip at transmission.

But yours seems to be same as 3000 sensor, see this one from O’Reilly.

Or this one from Rockauto priced at $88.99.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Once again your issues sound more like capacitor and/or wiring issues on the tach/speedo and not something else. The tach gets its signal from the PTU which has nothing to do with the speed sensor, so the fact they are both messing up points to your cluster. Please take the 5 minutes and pull your cluster and provide pictures of the capacitors. My offer of replacing the caps on it for you still stands if you provide the replacement caps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts