Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

After turning my boost back up ( to 1.07 ) now that I have 1500 miles on the new engine / heads / turbos, the car does not feel that much faster than on stock boost . . . I can feel a small difference on initial take-off, but after that it seems to pull like I'm on stock boost.

If I'm into it, in boost, and I let off just a little ( very little ), I hear a two-step "woosh woosh" that does not sound like its coming from the K&N, so I'm thinking that my stock blow off valve is leaking / blowing out . . . what do you think ?

Prior to this, I was set at 1.02 bar, so maybe the additional boost has done in the factory original valve that came on the car . . . are there ways to check this ?

Thank You in advance for your support.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Rre you running stock turbos? They won't hold more than 9psi or so to redline. So upping the boost won't really help =(

.jon

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Two things:

Does it make the dreaded Owl Hoot©? Even if it doesn't I would guess that it is still leaking. Get an aftermarket one.

Also, how do you get to 1.07 kg/cm2 on your EVC IV? I can only adjust mine by .05 increments (aka, 1.05). I would LOVE to be able to fine tune it...

·
OG *** Member
2,742 Posts
*honk*

"Where the f!#$ is that goose?"

Anyway - >15PSI won't make much difference on stock turbos. It might even push them out of their efficiency range and heat up things a bit (bad).

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brandon -

I dont know if I would call it an owl noise or not . . . maybe. It sounds similar to the K&N Intake swoosh, but different, a little deeper resonation. The only time I hear it, or when it happens, is when I let off the gas a little . .

hmmm . . thats interesting about the adjustment . . .I swear I adjusted it to 1.07 . . . I could be wrong though, wouldnt be the first time.

OMNIP_1 -

I suppose I could bring it back down to 1.00 and see how she runs . . . never thought of that.

jon3k -

I wouldnt agree with that. I ran the car at 1.00 bar prior, and it was a night and day difference.

Thanks for the responses, keep them coming.

·
Grandpa
3,636 Posts
That goose is pissed off too, he lets you know he's there, and is not shy about it.

You might want to try and check the hoses around the bov, but I'm sure you've already done that. ;)

Stock bov leaking seems to be pretty common after my searching thru the arcs......

·
Ex-Owner
1,284 Posts
correct me if im wrong but i heard stock turbos will hold 10-11 psi to redline and with a downpipe they will hold 13.

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wheelman -

I've never heard that. What I have heard and read here is that the factory 9B's will not hold 12 psi ( 11.8 actually ) to redline, regardless.

Thanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
10-11 is the most stock turbos will hold to redline on stock exhaust..... however, people with gutted precats and dp's have reported holding 13psi to redline due to lower backpressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts