Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Whatever Man
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a lot of road construction in Myrtle Beach right now since it is off season and won't interfere with the tourists. However, the construction has left my car with a lot of road tar on it. How can I get rid of this crap without hurting my already fading paint job?

·
Native
3,894 Posts
PPG products:

Ditzo DX440

or

AcryliClean DX330

the 440 is stronger than the 330 and you'll have wipe it off quickly but it will take off the road tar. It's what I use. Oh, use it before you wax;)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Ok, first let me build your confidence by saying that i am a detailer. Second, you have a couple of options. You could use bug and tar and spend a couple hours, WD-40 which might take from 30 min to 1.5 hrs, or gasoline and take about 15 minutes. Yes it sounds horrible. But it works. I put it in a spray bottle, spray it on the car before i wash, and watch it melt away. BUT!!!! You MUST WAX AFTER YOU DO THIS! If you have fading paint, all you need to do is get a good cleaner wax like ZYMOL (which is available at wall mart) and put lots of coats on. You should be able to remove most of the oxidation. TRUST ME!

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Vegetable oil (Crisco, Wesson, whatever) also does about as good a job as gasoline and is MUCH safer and less harmful to your paint. Vaseline works ok and citrus cleaners also work..but read the label...some are too strong for painted surfaces.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yeah, i thought it was painfull, too, just make sure you use something like simple green right after it. Just think how many times people have gas spill out of their gas caps on to the paint. Is the paint destroyed??? No. If you are an idiot, it will hurt your paint. If you do it right, it works like a charm.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Wraith R/T awd said:
PPG products:

Ditzo DX440

or

AcryliClean DX330

the 440 is stronger than the 330 and you'll have wipe it off quickly but it will take off the road tar. It's what I use. Oh, use it before you wax;)
I work at an auto body shop and we use both of those products but mostly the 330. It works great. Put it on a rag and it should come off in a couple mintues and wiping. If you scrub it hard it should just about instantly come of. Both the 440 and 330 are "wax and grease removers" so they are definatly safe. And like Wraith said.....USE IT BEFORE YOU WAX. :D

·
Dope-stoopid yo!
3,606 Posts
Wrathchild, is that Ozzy in your avatar???

I've used this bug & tar remover that has a black & white label in a brake fluid-looking bottle. Got it from O-Reily's, works very good. I used this crappy bug & tar gel that didn't do a damn thing, got that one from Auto Zone.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Brake fluid or Aircraft Paint stripper work great :)

j/k dont ever use any of that on your paint EVER.

-Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts