Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay maybe not expert, but I KNOW how to do it and what NOT to do and what to watch for.

After much research, I bought the parts from jagworks.com (less than $268 total shipped). I have the tools now.

I've done it three times

1st time - everything went smooth until we turned the crank to test the belt, at which point the bolt in the eccentric tensioner pulley came loose (didn't torque to specs), had to redo, but everything was smooth after that.

2nd time:
a week later, after many careful test drives, I pulled the covers to look at the belt, and didn't like the way it looked, so I took everything back apart again and redid it.

3rd time, later that night, couldn't remember if the tensioner pin was removed the 2nd time, so I took everything back apart to inspect.

IMO 90% of the work is taking everything off and putting it back together, so I say I can do it in about 5-6 hours easy now (last time I did it in 3 hours, but was rushing.

Long story short-
Anyone in the Houston area, willing to drive halfway to Galveston on I-45:
I'd be happy to help for 5-6 hours on a sunny day on a weekend change your t-belt/pulleys/and or water pump. All I ask in return is maybe $100 for my time (5 hrs at $20 per hr - what i make at work) + good conversation etc.

That means you could get your timing belt changed for less than $400 and probably do the full 60K (I consider the 60K a two part job, one is the front of the engine - belts pulleys etc, while the other is the top of the engine (plugs/wires)) with plugs and wires for less than $500 with parts and labor if you are willing to get your hands dirty.

As a bonus, when you get through, you too will know how to do it and won't have to worry about it next time it needs to be done.

Its not all that bad once you've done it a time or two.

·
2,616 Posts
Damn, sounds good. I wish you were closer to West Tx ;)
Anyway, this mechanic is going to do my bro's waterpump and timing belt for $230+the parts from jagworks.

Good job bro, i wish i could master it :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
hey I just hit 60k in my car the other day, I might take you up for your offer think maybe you can do the 3sx pulley? IF so that would be great :) Hope you can make it to the Houston gathering btw what kind of car you got 3kgt stealth?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm sure I could put the 3sx pulley on, you have to take the stock crank pulley off, so if you had the new a/c and power steering belts that are the right size for the smaller pulley, that shouldn't be a problem. Unless there is something special I don't know about the 3sx pulley. Never done one before, but I understand the concept.

I have a 1992 3000GT VR4

·
Registered
66 Posts
I live in Galveston and have a 94 DOHC base model 3kgt. I now have 80k miles on it and the timing belt has never been changed so I'm really stressing getting it changed. I have scheduled to take it to the dealership Monday to do a diagnostics on it to see what else needs to be replaced as well.....but I would rather not get ripped out the rear at the dealer. Would you be interested in changing the timing belt and water pump and such on my car? or at least helping me so I don't have to go buy all the tools to do it myself? You're welcome to e-mail me at [email protected].
Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mine has turbos, but the timing belt change shouldn't be any different than on any DOHC 3kgt.... granted there are five things to make sure you line up correctly (4 cams, crank) but its not that bad if you take your time, turn it by hand (wrench) first to make sure everything is lined up properly, and are willing to redo it if its not lined up properly BEFORE you start the engine. Once you can turn the all the way over engine by hand, and the belt doesn't slip, and you have it tensioned properly, there is no way that belt is coming off there, and you already know its lined up right because there is NO way you could turn the engine over by hand if the valves are hitting and no way you can hurt the valves by turning it over by hand. (check out that a run-on sentence)

If you follow that, its very safe, and easy, just can be time consuming and tiring. I'd rather bleed a little than bend over for Mitsu.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was in the same boat as you, scared to touch it, but a leaking water-pump and no cash for dealer labor forced me to

a) change the belt/pump myself
b) fry the engine from a seized wp throwing belt or not circulating coolant or leaking it all out.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sm0ky said:
dammit

i wish i would have seen this 3 days ago

mines in the shop RIGHT now having it changed

$50 for belt
$210 for install

:rolleyes:
LOL, note the original post date 11-20-2002

oh well, I never see things like that in time either...

·
Registered
33 Posts
jbd8805 here's a ques for you. i just bought my vr4 last week and the motor was just redone, canshaft and senso, valves, lifters etc. anyways im getting a whinning noise from the timming belt, not all the time just sometimes like at idle after i come to a stop or when im slowing down or right after you rev the engine up. any suggestions what it might be??

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well how do you know for sure its the timing belt whining? Could be the PS belt or AC belt? could be a pulley on one of those belts. could be lots of things (I'm not much help here)

·
Registered
33 Posts
well my buddy is a tech at my local mitsu dealer and i showed him the car and at first it wasnt winning but i reved it up and it started doing it and he said that from where the noise was comming from it was the timming belt i mean it right under the cover is where the noise is commin from so since the crankshaft was replace the timming belt had to be removed so im going to take it back to the place that did the motor work and have them fix it for free. i guess thats the advange of buying a warranty on the motor and tranny.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Corey777 said:
I live in Galveston and have a 94 DOHC base model 3kgt. I now have 80k miles on it and the timing belt has never been changed so I'm really stressing getting it changed. I have scheduled to take it to the dealership Monday to do a diagnostics on it to see what else needs to be replaced as well.....but I would rather not get ripped out the rear at the dealer. Would you be interested in changing the timing belt and water pump and such on my car? or at least helping me so I don't have to go buy all the tools to do it myself? You're welcome to e-mail me at [email protected].
Thanks.

Mike
Well, that's one successful T-belt change ... hopefully we can get the Spark Plugs later on.....took us 6 hours but we made it, right Mike?

Hopefully we can hang out again sometime, as my goal was to meet other 3s owners too...

·
Registered
66 Posts
yeah....I'm actually surprised at how well it went. Not a single problem. Pretty easy too. thanks for all the help. you know....we should talk to the rest of the Houston guys about possibly renting a small place with a garage to use as a shop. If there are enough people, we could all pitch in just a little for the rent and tools and that way everyone would have a place to work on their cars....just an idea. Let me know if you wanna get together sometime. See ya.

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.