Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Walbro pump and was wondering something about the wiring. I already have a 4 gauge wire with an inline fuse coming off the battery for my amp, can I just run the 4 gauge into a d-block and use 8 gauge from there to the pump?

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Not a good idea - if you stereo screws up, your car stops wherever you are. If that's on the interstate, in the middle of an intersection, or a deserted highway at 2am, it's not a good thing.

Run its own 10 gauge and you'll be safe.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
I would hope that line has a fuse at the battery. If so, it's that fuse that can blow in the event of a stereo problem and at the same time leave you stranded.

It's worth taking the extra time and running a separate line. You could do it like you said and run fine for years, probably laughing at me every morning when you crank your car and drive without a problem. But, 3 years down the road when you're traveling in the middle of nowhere, your amp will toast the fuse and your car will roll to a stop.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually the thought of the fuse crossed my mind just as i came on here to post this, and that is true, but, the fuse holder is right there under the hood, and i keep spare fuses in the car, and yes, its been like that for a year with no problems hehe, but i understand anything can happen at any time, i think ill try this though and if the fuse doesnt give me any problems, ill run it like that for a bit and see how it goes

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Do it the right way, run the wiring (10 gauge) the way it is MEANT to be done. When Mitsu built the car, did they integrate the parking lights with the fuel pump? I don't think so, they ran more wires to the back of the car for the fuel pump ;)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mitsu didnt integrate the fuel pump with the parking lights because that wouldnt make sense, integrating a fuel pump with parking lights and running an amp off the same 4 gauge wire as you are running the fuel pump are quite different, and besides, my amp croaked on me this weekend, so i will just be using the 4 gauge into an 8 gauge wire straight to the pump :)

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Imagine what fun you would have had if the fuse on that line blew when the amp died. Happens all the time - direct short, etc. You could have coasted to a stop in the middle of an on-ramp, a left turn, passing somebody, etc.

That's why the only thing on the fuel pump circuit should be the fuel pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts