Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ziggy Socky!
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions for those of you who know anything about car stereo installation.

I have a 92 VR4 with a double din stereo and I am trying to hook up a Pioneer DEH-P8400MP. I bought the wire harness for my car but I'm so stupid I still can't figure some stuff out.

1. What is the wire to my car that is a round plug, looks like the antenna plug but slightly smaller. The wire is grey.

2. The blue power antenna wire from my car, the only place I can find to hook it up to is (Blue/white, To system control terminal of the power amp or Auto-Antenna relay control terminal) on my stereo. With this my antenna is always up, can I make it go up with just the radio?

3. My stereo has an Orange/White wire labeled (To lighting switch terminal, illumination). My car has two wires, One orange - Illumination and one orange-white - Dimmer. Which wire should I hook it to.

4. Finally my factory car stereo had another small black square plug with two wires on it, one yellow and one yellow/white. The harness I bought does not hook to this plug, what is it?

Sorry for so many questions but yes I am that ignorant when it comes to car stereo. :dunce: Any help would greatly be appreciated.

·
Now with 100% more meth
2,704 Posts
1. Its for a cd changer if you have one, if not the wires are already ran back there for one.

2. Should work, dont know why it doesnt. It should go down when you turn the car off or turn the deck off.

3. Hook to illumination.

4. Not sure, but maybe its somthing to do with the bose system, im assuming you have that since its a VR4, never messed with one of those but it could be somthing to do with the amp for the bose system.

·
Ziggy Socky!
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help Sublime.

The antenna does go down when the car shuts off but with the stock unit it would stay down if I only listened to my CD player. Ohh well I can get over it.

·
Ziggy Socky!
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply doyouwannaride.

So then do new stereos not have an option to automatically dim when the head lights are turned on?

·
Ziggy Socky!
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks sublime_whatigo I guess I'll give it a go and see what happens. Either way I can live with the outcome. By the way is your eclipse stereo stock or aftermarket?

·
Registered
494 Posts
just wire to your harness. It should work. I just did the same install last week. You can hook the antenna wire to a fuse right by your left foot (in the fuse box there).

·
Dare to be Stupid
2,739 Posts
Ya, hook it up to the illumination wire & you have the power antenna hooked up right. Pioneer's (and most other decks) are like that, whenever the radio is on, the antenna is up. My eclipse works like the factory one, only up when the radio is on.

·
Ziggy Socky!
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, everything is working fine and now I can enjoy the new S.O.A.D. cd. You guys saved me major $$.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts