Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
holy s**t skyline

my friend tommy just got back from a week in japan, where he bought a 93 skyline gtr. it's sitting in his friend's garage right now while he searches for loopholes in the law so that he can try and have it brought into the country.

i want one

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
lostboi said:
my friend tommy just got back from a week in japan, where he bought a 93 skyline gtr. it's sitting in his friend's garage right now while he searches for loopholes in the law so that he can try and have it brought into the country.

i want one
Loopholes? There are none. However, there are a TON of hoops that he is going to have to go through... :)

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Damn your friend. He'll probably have to pay some sort of import luxury tax and make its emissions legal. There is someone on this board who has a skyline. You should change the subjects name to something with skyline in it so that he takes notice.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know there are a ton of hoops he'll have to jump through, hi current hope is to find one though. i've looked at a lot of info on trying to get one in and haven't seen anyone that has found loopholes. were i to get one i'd probably go to an international trade lawyer first and gethim/her to try and find one for me.

i just hope he can get one in and street legal, i want to see this done without motorex's help

oh, and hexum, i live in savannah, ga currently, which is in chatam county, which has no emissions restrictions

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Holy shit, i KNOW this thread didn't get moved into the NAZi room cause it wasn't directly related to 3si.... This is fucking rediculous. I'm speachless. This actually had to do with cars and stuff.

"Grab a seat put your feet up and chat with other members. This is the place to get away from car talk for a while."

That is what it says under the LOUNGE title isn't it? This thread has to do with cars.... it shouldn't be in YOUR lounge... Hell just delete it, we're headed in that direction anyway...

(prepare yourself I'm voicing my oppinion here) This new attempt at organizing things, SUCKS. Rather than having like a conference room where you have a few conversations going on at once you've broken us up into a freaking motel 6. Now we get to go from room to room to room to see if we can get a rough idea of what's going on where. I liked the gatherings room idea. But this is lame. I don't care if some people were having trouble getting an answer to thier question (Never happened to me by the way. the longest an answer ever took for one of my questions was a few hours) because it got pushed off the front page. If you need the answer to your STRICTLY 3S related question that badly, call a fucking dealer. Contrary to what seems to be popular oppinion around here, some of us retards know what we're talking about and could probably explain things better than some of the lame asses we get on this board.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
errrr, wasn't really any other place to post it other than where i did, then it got moved.......
i just felt like saying wow, i'd kill to have a skyline. an to perhaps get some ideas on ways my friend could get the car into the country and still be able to register and drive it on the street.

the only thing i've really come up with is havin his riend injapan have the engine pulled out, have the body and the engine shipped separately since neither of them is illegal in itself(at least i hope a skyline engine alone can be imported without trouble), and then assemble them againin the US and register the car. the first barrier, apparently, is simply getting the car oin US soil legally, andafter that registering it as a street leagl car.

any(constructive) input(about getting this car into the country) you guys have would be appreciated.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have to agree, I don't find it a major annoyance, but I don't really like the addition of the Lounge, splits things up too much.

Why was the chat room removed, or was it ever set up? Seems that would take away a lot of the silly pointless posts which people post only really to pass time goofing off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining I think this is the best forum around, just offering a suggestion.

·
Banned
10,940 Posts
I realize I'm being a nazi about this right now. I will looses up as time goes on.

Don't like the lounge. Too bad. I posted a poll for 6 days for a reason. 55% wanted the OT room and 10% did not care.

Right now I have to make sure everyone realized that the lounge even exists(and yes that is a real issue). For now I'm moving anythign not 3s related. A month from now I may not have bothered. But, my focus in to get people using both forums.

As far as the chat thing goes. the provider shut it off. The is a AIM based room that is very busy (see my sig).

I know I will never get a 100% approval rating(except when I remove trolls). I do not expect it. I always say "If I did not piss someone off I did not do my job right." So I guess I'm on target. ;)

·
Hot Damn, here I am!
2,684 Posts
I don't really like it, but I'm not complaining too much... ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
hexum said:
Damn your friend. He'll probably have to pay some sort of import luxury tax and make its emissions legal. There is someone on this board who has a skyline. You should change the subjects name to something with skyline in it so that he takes notice.

Can't he just slap a Collector's license plate on it if it's not his primary vehicle?

·
2,248 Posts
I think the lounge is fair enough.
Alan, you have my support. :)

As for the Skyline-- wow, lucky guy. It's going to be a b|tch to get it registered here, though. Probably won't qualify for any specialty tags or anything like that. Of course, he *could* just take the tags off his other car and put on that one and *HOPE* he never gets stopped. ;)

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
I know that from reading various things, you can have the car shipped over here, with some taxes levied of course. From that point I beleive you can obtain a temporary 6 month registration that was designed to give you time to update it to DOT approval or for whatever reason. At that point it would need to be inspected for DOT approval and given a real registration or registered as a race car and only driven on a track...

My advice?

although highly illegal if caught...

I would buy a junk 240sx from a private party with a clean title and mileage similar to that on the skyline and then swap VINs on the cars. and register the car as a 240SX...

I'm not sure how the VINs work on Japanese cars though...

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
Just to let you know, the guy that drives the skyline in this forum is named WDRacing

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Rich Bauer aka NIGHTMARE owns and drives a Skyline R32...

·
Hot Damn, here I am!
2,684 Posts
FireStormTT said:
Just to let you know, the guy that drives the skyline in this forum is named WDRacing
Yeah but isn't that guy ACTUALLY IN Japan? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Alan92RTTT said:
Reconsidered and moved back to general. (even admins can be wrong :( )
It didn't bother me either way, Alan. :)

But thanks in either case. :D

On with the show.... :p

Elton

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
I think the law allows you to bring the car over in pieces.Thats why you can get power plants not available to the U.S..I don't know how much you would have to take it apart or how many shipments it would take.Once you got it over here the 240SX idea is really good.It would be cheaper to insure the 240 than the skyline.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts