Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone of you guys have a HKS EVC V installed? I just bought one so I was wondering how hard they are to install and tune and if you like it.
Can’t wait until I get it. Is $400 for it a good price?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
$400 is a damn good price. Let us know how it works out. I'd also be curious if anyone else is running this EBC?? Does it work well w/ our setup?

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
EVC V

FWIW - Mike at AAM recommended it to a member here who was looking for feed-back on controllers in general.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
any problems w/ overboosting the preset boost level that you define??

·
Red Dragon
2,071 Posts
No, for some reason it likes to go under what I set it at:confused: . Like if I set it at 100kpa it'll hang out right around 97 or 98. I'm also not using the correct size vacuum line going into the wastegate accuators (sp?) either. They give you enough to do one turbo and thats it. I had some of the smaller lines left over from a previous project so I used that and haven't taken the time to replace it yet. So that might have something to do with it. All in all I like it though, good looking and easy to adjust, although I still don't know how everything works. I don't know why they can't print a full instruction manual in english.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Evc V

I finally installed my evc v… Installing was as simple as could be. It works perfect, right on the dime. I like it because you have control over the boost all the way from stock to were ever you dear to set the high point. The biggest improvement over the turbo xs that I had before is that if feels like the turbos spools up a lot quicker and the big display with boost memory is perfect for tuning.
Now I want bigger turbos and a stillen down pipe…:0)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
looks good, I have one I picked up for $400. I love it and it works great. = to blitz sbc-id

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
The functionality is absolutely the same like on a BLITZ SBC-DC or older DSBC. The only thing that makes it different is the display type and of course you pay more for the HKS name :( The good thing is that it lines up with the new AF/Knock Monitor, although its a little big I think.

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
The functionality is absolutely the same like on a BLITZ SBC-DC or older DSBC. The only thing that makes it different is the display type and of course you pay more for the HKS name The good thing is that it lines up with the new AF/Knock Monitor, although its a little big I think.
Doesn't the HKS EVC series use a fuzzy logic-controlled stepper? It is most definately NOT the same as a DSBC if this is the case.

-Chris Wood

P.S. 1600 posts, I'm moving up in the world :D

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Dan's VR-4 said:
If you can find anyone that thinks that fuzzy logic is a good idea for twin turbos that is.
Fuzzy logic is a great idea all around, there isn't a whole lot of reason why twin turbos are less suited to it. Cars with very fast-spooling boost systems may have a problem with it, and the implementation just may not be that great in general regardless of what you are using.

-Chris Wood

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Multiades said:
Doesn't the HKS EVC series use a fuzzy logic-controlled stepper? It is most definately NOT the same as a DSBC if this is the case.

-Chris Wood

P.S. 1600 posts, I'm moving up in the world :D
I thought they dropped that fuzzy thing to the V series. Anyhow, I just meant that it does the same i nthe users point of view. But of course the setting and way to program are different. If set both do the same.

The Blitz solenoids are definitely the fastest in the world, the Twin design of two smaller faster valves compared to one or one with a stepper motor seems to work better in regard to fast spooling up turbos like our tiny stockers.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Since I had the DR500's put in my EVC IV hasn't been working very well. The learning mode has a hard time finding "stable" boost pressure. That causes the turbos to have increased lag for some reason and various boost problems.

For instance I just had my pre-cats gutted and added a Stillen DP. The Turbos boosted noticebly faster but boost would spike (set at .80, spike to .90). I did the learn mode and my turbos developed the same laggy feeling they had before. Boost would under boost a little bit (set to .80 boost only to .75)

I decided to try the manual adjustment instead of the Learn mode and now the turbos spooler quicker again but the overboost condition happens when I set boost to .80
Strange thing is if I set boost to .75 the spike is only to .77 or .78

Another thing that has NEVER worked is the warning feature. It hasn't stopped a spike ever or indicated an overboost condition.

I'm very tempted to go with a MBC, less problems, less $$.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After I installed my evc my boost solenoid has started making some knocking noises, primarily when the engine is cold. Is that normal?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I think you need to unplug the electrical connection on the stock solinoid to get rid of the knocking in your cabin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.