Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

The following are quotes out of this month's issue of Sport Compact Car. It is an excerpt from their article on a 300ZX project car. Please read:

"HKS encouraged us to try its current, state-of-the-art boost controller, the EVC 4. We were reluctant because the EVC 4 is a fuzzy logic, self-learning type of boost controller. Past experience has told us such controllers don't work well when the controller's stepper motor is mounted a long way from the wastegate actuators. We're not sure, but we think the added volume and/or elasticity of the long lines to the wastegates create volume fluctuation and whack out the boost controller's magic box. In the past, this has caused us uncontrollable boost creep and inconsistent boost levels.
The EVC 4, however, can be operated with the fuzzy logic, self-learning function turned off. After numerous futile attmpts to get the EVC to learn our car's boost curve--which meant a lot of 2 a.m. runs down abandoned streets--we turned the fuzzy feature off and manually calibrated the EVC by adjusting the controller's offset function. This was much easier. We recommend that any twin turbo owner skip the self-learning crap and proceed to this step in the instructions. You'll save a lot of time.
Once we figured it out, the EVC 4 did improve our turbo boost response and reduced transient lag (vs the original EVC).
We can actually feel the difference in response from the old EVC, even at stock boost pressure levels. As a plus, the EVC 4's control valve is much faster than the early EVC, which should allow for more precise control."

Has anyone out there ever done this? My stepper motor is mounted underneath the fuse box in the front of my engine compartment. I am concerned because my Greddy Boost Gauge has been measuring some scary, boost spikes. If I have it pre-set for 1 bar, it may hit 1.2 or 1.3 bar.
I would try to do the same as the guys did in the magazine, but the snow is flying in Erie, and my car is in hibernation for the winter. Does anyone (Southern guys) want to give this a try and post their results?
Sorry so long, but I thought this was an interesting topic. Jim

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Red95VR4 said:
Has anyone out there ever done this? My stepper motor is mounted underneath the fuse box in the front of my engine compartment. I am concerned because my Greddy Boost Gauge has been measuring some scary, boost spikes. If I have it pre-set for 1 bar, it may hit 1.2 or 1.3 bar.
I would try to do the same as the guys did in the magazine, but the snow is flying in Erie, and my car is in hibernation for the winter. Does anyone (Southern guys) want to give this a try and post their results?
Sorry so long, but I thought this was an interesting topic. Jim
I did it with my VR-4 when I had it using the HKS EVC IV. I used the manual mode and set my original setting at .45 kg/cm2 (about 6psi or so). I then proceeded to set my 'low' setting at .85 kg/cm2 (~12psi) and my high setting at 1.05 kg/cm2 (14.9psi). I left the fuzzy logic ON (you could tell it was on by the way that it would flash for a few seconds when you changed the mode). That learning would try to keep the boost at the set boost level on the EVC IV, no matter what the temp or climate conditions. I could set it for 1.05 and it wouldn't ever really hit 1.10 (where I had my warning set at) for the most part. The EVC IV is a VERY stable boost controller that rarely overboosts if set up correctly.

Here are the revised instructions from Jeff's site:

http://www.stealth316.com/images/evc-inst5.gif
http://www.stealth316.com/images/evc-inst6.gif
http://www.stealth316.com/images/evc-inst7.gif

·
Banned
9,895 Posts
Shorten your hoses going to the solenoid. Try mounting it by the firewall. I did the auto setup on mine and it was under boosting. I played with the offset a little and got it to boost right on the money... it never overboosts on me, it may under boost 0.03 bar at most.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EVC 4

Guys,

Thanks for the input. I will heed your advice and see what results I come up with...as soon as spring arrives. Damn snow:cussing:

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Re: EVC 4

Red95VR4 said:
Guys,

Thanks for the input. I will heed your advice and see what results I come up with...as soon as spring arrives. Damn snow:cussing:
Good luck. Honestly, you should have no problem with that controller. It gave me almost 2 yrs of perfect function. However, make sure that you don't get it wet (don't hose down your engine bay if you can avoid it). I have heard stories of them failing when they got wet... Regardless of that, try setting it up manually. It was very easy.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
No overboosting problems with my EVC IV either. It's set (high) for .95 which is where I always keep it. Most I've seen it is spike to .97 or .98 for a split second and even that is pretty rare.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EVC IV

I just had a thought. What if it isn't the boost controller, but the Greddy boost gauge that is not working properly? I know that the EVC 4 has a "built-in" boost indicator, but while driving under high boost, I watch the road rather than my boost controller. I have always just assumed that the gauge would be accurate...after all, it was pretty expensive (peak hold and warning). The sensor for the gauge is brand new though; so maybe I am grabbing at straws.
At any rate, the fact that my stepper motor is so far from the wastegate actuators cannot help my situation. I need to shorten those lines and then manually calibrate the offset function.
In the Spring, I will need to reset the fuzzy logic anyway, as I just had the DR-500s installed and my boost curve is now different.
Thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Just a thought, to check the boost gauge built into the EVC, check it out 3rd gear. Easier to take your eyes off the road for a split second in 3rd gear than 1st or 2nd because you're already bouncing back and forth between road and tach. 3rd gear you don't really need to look at the tach, so just floor it about 60mph and glance at your boost controller to see what it reads compared to your other boost gauge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts