Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how come no one is using this over the safc?
it has 11 points instead of 8 like the safc plus it has a seperate idle setting. ? Sounds to me that this is a better product than the SAFC.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I had a chance to buy one of these a while back for a really good price but the guy backed out for the moment. Hopefully he'll read this and remember me and that I still want it;) It is strange how the S-AFC gets more attention than the HKS unit. I think its all in the display. The S-AFC looks better. And that's what REALLY counts right?:rolleyes: hehe

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
I bought the HKS because of the features and the lack of display. I wanted to be able to mount it in my center console next to my EVC4.

I have not installed it yet because I'm waiting to have my 450s cleaned and balanced. When I get off my butt, I'll post my thoughts and findings.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have it.

Don't know if it's better than the Apex'i, but I think it's doing a pretty good job of controlling a fuel system with 550cc injectors and an upgraded fuel pump.

I've heard the HKS is simpler to tune/adjust.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
PROFILEVR4:

Am I reading correctly that you are using the 550 injectors with just an upgraded fuel pump and the HKS AFR?

I ask because the general consensus seemed to be that 550's couldn't be adequately tuned with just the S-AFC and that you needed to go to an ARC II or VPC to get good results.

I'd like to hear some details if your doing this and satisified with both the performance and streetability.

Chris
1994 VR4

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well what I'm using to guage my mixture are two Cyberdyne A/F guages. One for each 02 sensor. With the AFR set to 0 which is pretty much letting the 550 injectors run on their own via the ECU, it reads very rich, in fact the guages are pegged to rich.

So my only needs from the AFR is to lean out the mixture a bit.

With the AFR I have been able to lean out the mixture to a point that reads one LED past the Stoich LED.

Now I'm not saying this is an accurate way of tuning, heck it wasn't even on a dyno. But I was able to lean the mixture that far with relatively small adjustments on the HKS AFR. You can set each rpm point 50% +/-. And I only had to set it to -30% to -35% in the rpm point to get it to a mixture that felt right.

I can conclude that setting even further would have leaned my mixture to dangerous levels which I obviously do not need, but the point is that level of fuel adjustment can be achieved with the HKS AFR and 550cc injectors.

I'm in no way saying this is better than a VPC or ARC-II, but I dispute that that this isn't a decent entry level fuel controller for a setup consisting of 550cc injectors.

Again this is for the HKS AFR, I don't know about the Apex'i AFC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts