Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the scenario (Aircond, Lights, Accesories all Off):-

Whether the engine is cold or hot, everytime I start my GTO (1st Gen. A/T, N//A, 40,000miles, 60k tune-up done), the tacho goes straight to 2,000RPM. Immediately, it will drop to 1300-1400RPM for a few seconds before settling down after a minute or so at 850RPM, the perfect idle speed. Even after driving for hours, whenever I Off and Restart engine immediately, the tacho still shoot straight up to 2000RPM. In the morning when engine is cold, it will still start-up at 2000RPM. I fear such high RPM at each start-up will damage the engine sooner in view of minimal lubricant in the cylinders, especially when engine is cold.

Other than High RPM At Each Start-Up, the car is behaving perfectly at all times - every parts had been serviced, cleaned & replaced (all stock parts) according to schedules. Silent engine. Timing at +/-5 degree.

Certainly it's not the idle speed control. Tried resetting ECU too but no improvement. Maybe something else needed adjustment. Hopefully some of you pros had experienced this and can provide some appropriate advice. Manual doesn't touch on this issue.

What and How to tune to obtain normal start-up of Less than 2000RPM???

Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I second that, my car does the exact same thing.

It doesn't always start up at 2000 (just most of the time), sometimes it will only go to 1500 or so.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I think its normal, as mine does the same thing.

Mine usually starts at about 12-1500 rpm then levels off gradually. I usually let the engine warm up for about two minutes before moving, and by that time, it drops closer to 1000.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Jspec said:
the rx7 idle at 3000rpm :eek:
WTF??? What's the deal with the high idle? Isn't that a little exaggerated. I've heard that those funny cars that run < 5's in the 1/4 idle at 3000rpm, but why an RX7?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
when cold..startup..not like driving around.

apparently its Mazda's design to compensate for the average joe who drives the rotory. its not good for the engine though...that's why when you startup a rx7 you have to press the gas a lil so the rpm goes up and then drops down to 2000 then eventually down more. i got that off reading bunch of FAQ on rx7 sites and the forums

1 - 7 of 7 Posts