Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a whole lot of advice on this one!! I am very interested in putting an HID kit in my car (1995 Stealth TT) but i don't know if i should buy a kit or if i should buy OEM parts from like, mercedes, acura, or BMW i know that the OEM parts would be the more expensive way to go.

Is there anyone out there who has bought an aftermarket HID kit for the projector bulbs that is in our cars and what kind did you buy?

The only reason that i ask is becase there is so much garbage out there and very little good stuff, so if anyone has any personal experiance with these Kits please let me know.

Thanks
Dan

·
650's installed, yea baby
659 Posts
Well, in my research on the subject, i have found that Phillips and Hella make some of the better kits out there. I am currently waiting for a Hella kit to show up. No sense buying an OEM kit unless you have money to burn, they are a bit more. There is a groupbuy on these in the "Group Buy" section for the Hella kits for around $400. 3SX sells the McCullough brand i think for around $500. I saw a Phillips kit for around $485 on Groupbuycenter.com. I believe most of the European cars use the Phillips ballast's for their cars, but don't quote me on that one.

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/Xenon-HID-Lights-Kits.htm

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, your right it does make a lot more sense to go witht he aftermarket kits, and i have also heard that the ones that you have listed are the best. Thing that i am trying to figure out is that most of the kits say that they are using these parts and are just abusing the name. I was kind of looking for someone that has bought a kit and that could direct me to a specific kit and place to buy it (of course only if it looks good).

thanks
Dan

·
Reformed 3S addict
683 Posts
Ok I have a 93 base stealth and I was wanting to replace the stock headlight bulbs with some type of halogen or projection lights. So that the lights aren't the pale yellow but the bright white/blue. I'm going to get fog lights to match but my question is will I need a whole kit or can I just buy 2 bulbs off e-bay for $10 each? I don't want to replace anything if I don't have to, I like the pop-ups but I want the brighter/sharper color. What do I need?

Also, if I can just get the bulbs, what size/wattage, etc do I need? I don't have an owner's manual; damn used car. I need to know so I can possibly ask for them for X-mas and most of the people in my family are car illiterate. Thanks

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
Only way to put HID on your car is to get an aftermarket HID kit for 9006. 2gen uses 9006 for low beam so you should find an 9006 HID Kit.

·
Reformed 3S addict
683 Posts
Are PIAA's not halogens? I've heard good things about them but none of you mentioned them. I'm not as worried about the sight aspect (halogens greatly enhance sight at night?) as I am the way they look. I want the bright-white/blue look when looking at the headlights. If there are some other type that give the look but don't necessarily enhance line of sight that would be ok, especially since I'm going to get fogs too. Or is it halogen/projections or stock?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have APC icy hot bulbs and at night they produce a bluish/white light in front of the car. When you look directly at the bulb they look blue. You may be able to see in my sig the difference not a very good pic. But look at the fogs which are stock bulbs and the low beams which are the icy hot bulbs. This is what autozone reccomended when I told them I wanted bluish looking headlights. They had to order them because they only stock normal bulbs.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Vin thanks for the reply. i was looking for someone that actually had a set in their car and was happy with them. It looks like you are the only one so far that actually put HID's in their car. If you could give me a link or the name of the kit that you got so i can price that one that would be great.

thanks
Dan

·
THE GAME
1,464 Posts
Gojo3 said:
Hey Vin thanks for the reply. i was looking for someone that actually had a set in their car and was happy with them. It looks like you are the only one so far that actually put HID's in their car. If you could give me a link or the name of the kit that you got so i can price that one that would be great.

thanks
Dan
I have the Eaglite kit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts