Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited (bought my siblings out) my fathers '92 Stealth TT. All stock 70k. He drove it less than 1000 miles in 24 years! He bought it with 69k. Anyway, changed oil, battery, plugs and wires and drove it from Ohio to NC a few months ago. It ran better and better the longer I drove it. Compliments the whole way down. Just a few days ago I went to start it and it coughed, choked, spit out a small belch of smoke and now it just turns over. I've read about the heat messing the ecu (and NC IS warmer than Ohio.) I attempted to do the multimeter scan with pin 1 and 12 of the obd 1 but the multimeter just cycles from 0 to approx 12 volts every second. No pauses so I cant read codes. Does this mean ecu is fried? I have my dad's other car so I actually have to sell this one so I can stay married! Need to fix it first! Any help is greatly appreciated

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,264 Posts
Welcome. You might have better luck using+interpreting an analog voltmeter or LED bulb instead.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Original timing belt. Yes, second part is unrelated. I was going to pull timing cover off to inspect. Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
Where in NC are you? Despite having the biggest parts supplier for this platform at the moment, 3sx, the 3/S scene in NC is kinda small. But if you asked for help on the NC 3/S and surrounding areas facebook you might get some help.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Charlotte is the place to be in NC as far as the 3/S platform is concerned. 3sx, the largest part supplier for our platform is right around the corner in Concord. Sadly I'm down in Wilmington so I can't really help you. If you have facebook hop on the NC 3/S page, and see if anyone is willing to help. If not you can always take the car to 3sx's shop, the performance factory, but be prepared to pay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha! Cool. I'm used to spending money on cars. Ive had my Viper to a few shops and just got my Ram SRT 10 out for a bent rod (cursed Gen III engine!!). Appreciate the help. I'm going to pull the timing belt cover and ecu and see if I can visually determine anything. I know a weak battery can cause some issues also so I'll check that. Thx again.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,728 Posts
My money is on:

A) ECU. If not re-capped and original, those capacitors have to be toast.
B) Jumped timing. An 80K original belt is probably cracked and stretched just from age. Hopefully, if this is the case, it only jumped a few teeth (any more, bad shit happens).
C) Injector issues. Not sure if it was mentioned, but if the gas in the tank has been in there "a while", clogged injectors is high on the list of possible issues.

The car is beautiful, and I'm sorry that your Dad's prized possession is being sold off for profit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Ohio, believe me, I know. If I could, I would have a 10 car garage. (Divorced and paying a bundle every month!) My dad was a car dealer in Cleveland for 50+ years so I was brought up in it. His other car (which I have) is a completely original 1935 Chevy Master Coach which he is the second owner of.
I'm praying not timing belt. (He never raced it and neither did I in the short time I've had it). Injectors are an interesting thought. Appreciate your input!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I've checked timing belt. Appears all good. Marks line up on block and gears; hasn't skipped, belt is tight and looks excellent. Attached are pics of the ecu. I don't see anything wrong (ie capacitors leaking). Anyone else have thoughts? I'm going to put ecu back in and retest with analog multimeter.

Attachments

·
I feel the need for speed
745 Posts
That sounds exactly like what happened to me when I went to the national gathering in 2014. The car ran perfect for a thousand miles and wouldn't start two days later. For me it was the ECU but mine had visible damage. Yours looks like there is no damage but the capacitors can fail internally with no outside signs of damage. If you know how to solder, it should take a few minutes and they only cost about $10. I would start there before anything else.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That sounds exactly like what happened to me when I went to the national gathering in 2014. The car ran perfect for a thousand miles and wouldn't start two days later. For me it was the ECU but mine had visible damage. Yours looks like there is no damage but the capacitors can fail internally with no outside signs of damage. If you know how to solder, it should take a few minutes and they only cost about $10. I would start there before anything else.

Thanks Twin. How did you determine it was the ecu? I've done some minor sliding but not an ecu. So, I would just clip these capacitors off at their base and solder correct ones in from the top side only, right? Thanks again.

·
13,728 Posts
Please, do not try to repair your ECU.
Without the proper tools and skills, you will likely make it unusable.
If you think there is an issue with the ECU, send it to a reputable repair shop.

Have you checked for spark? Fuel?
Basic troubleshooting steps should be taken before making assumptions.

Good Luck.

Bob.

EDIT: 3sx, beside being a part supplier also has a fully staffed shop capable of gettting your car back on the road.
You may want to consider having the car sent to them (on a flatbed towing vehicle).
3SX Services | 3SX Performance Home Page

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Bob, I've had the battery disconnected and on low charge for a few days. After reinstalling ecu I tried to start it. It almost started with some backfiring, then stalled out. I'll go back to attempting to read codes. Whats the best way to check for spark? Is it the old "pull a plug and semiground it"? How do I check coils? Thanks again.

·
13,728 Posts
If you're careful (and wear leather gloves, you can pull 1 wire at a time out of a coil and hold it close to where you pulled it off, and you should see a spark jump. This saves a LOT of disassembly. This is obviously a 2 person job.
Or, for less that $20 you could go to just about any auto parts store and get a spark tester.
Also, by checking the spark at the coils, you're testing the coils as well....

In all honesty, since it almost started, it sounds more like a fuel issue to me, possibly a clogged fuel filter or failing pump....but then again, I'm not there...

Bob.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gonna try to read codes again. Should give a code for fuel pump I would think. And theres been no check engine light come on (it does work). Gotta hit the parts store anyway so I'll grab a tester. Thanks much Bob

·
13,728 Posts

·
I feel the need for speed
745 Posts
Please, do not try to repair your ECU.
Without the proper tools and skills, you will likely make it unusable.
If you think there is an issue with the ECU, send it to a reputable repair shop.
Bob the board has no apparent damage from the pics so replacing the caps is pretty straight forward. I think anyone that is confident enough to even think they could do it probably has the skills needed. It's just softening up one joint while you push the cap sideways and once that's out push the other way for the other leg.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts